The trip Part 3 : Marinduque Province

It’s time to continue to post about our last year’s trip in the Philippines. I’ve talked about them arriving NAIA and spending some time in Manila. And I blame Makis for making a brilliant post about Philippine gastronomy lol. Now, I am greedy hankering after about foods and everything about Philippines. In between my “golden week” spent in my province of Quezon we headed to the Province of Marinduque to see my Tita Lucy (an Auntie from my mother side) who is a nun and whom I haven’t seen for maybe 15 years or more. We were accompanied by a driver to go to Port of Tayabas, Lucena City. Going to Marinduque could be reached by many ports from Lucena City, on to the Mainland. Balanacan Port, Cawit Port or Buyabod Port are the ports of call for Marinduque Island . We took a small ferry in crossing the island and will take us 4 hours to arrive to Balanacan.

When husband saw the ferry he was extremely worried but I never even hinted anything as it was not shown in his face. Probably, to avoid scary thoughts I just knew it when we arrive to Balanacan Port safe and sound. Basically, the ferry is really small and could probably cater 40 passengers. It was not air-conditioned only electric fans which are not actually a big deal for us. And even if the spaces between chairs and backrest are narrow which are obviously made for Filipino sizes we were okay and have never heard my kids complain. While husband is laughing because he does not fit at all. But what bothered husband were the close windows, no way to escape in cases of emergency. Although there are life saver jackets but still it could be detrimental to passengers. The only escape would be the main entrance of the ferry which is undeniably daunting ! We were supposed to take the big ship but arriving to the Port we were just in time for the small ferry ready to cross the island. Plus, we didn’t want to waste the opportunity to leave earlier than planned. With tickets in-hand, we quickly boarded to the small ferry. Although ferry serves a wide variety of choices of pack lunch like rice with chicken, rice adobo etc. we have kept ourselves busy eating sandwiches Mom prepared for the travel, skyflakes and boy bawang, my kids love eating those a lot.




At 3 o’clock we landed to Balanacan and needed to ride jeepneys, tricycles or some sort of local taxi like L-300 van going to the Monastery of St. Claire We were offered for a van because we have kids but opted for a tricycle. Don’t blame me for that, kids insisted for it. They find it completely extraordinary, which is true as this is an ingenious creation of the Filipino people. It was a 45 minutes tricycle ride along the curving roads from Balanacan Port going to the Monastery. The view was just remarkable….everything is just green! Finally, we arrived to the Monastery and welcomed by the caretaker Mang Pido asking us how much we paid for the tricycle. I told him we paid for P200. He wasn’t happy about it saying that normal tariff would be P150. I told him it’s okay I don’t mind to pay P50 more just consider is as a tip. But I do understand his reaction because he wants driver to be honest and avoid taking advantage of tourists. If there is tip given it would be the passenger who will decide and not by adding some charges on the normal tariff.

He took our bag and brought us to an air-conditioned room with 2 queen size bed. We were like in a 3 star hotel, kinda surprising. I have never seen Monastery like this. We headed down to the parlour (as they call it) to wait for my Auntie. Finally, she went out smiling. Excited, surprise....we were both going through mix emotions. We have talked around 15 minutes to welcome us for the time being. She just excused herself from the prayer session and will get back after talking to us. Proposed us to rest a little bit but we would rather explore the island.

The other caretaker Manang accompanied us during our short escapade. A very young tricycle driver who speaks a little bit of French with us. Driving their own tricycle during weekends but an Engineer student during weekdays.



Our service to go around the island.



This is the Boac, Marinduque Cathedral.

After that small tour from the Cathedral this time we were way off down the beach. Do not be surprised as we did not end up going a white beach. We just would like the kids to swim since the weather was quite hot and humid. We asked them to stay near the seashore and do not go too far because at any given moment it would soon be a high tide.



Now, this is quite terrifying part of this little promenade on the beach. An adventure almost became a misadventure. We were sitting around 50 meters away from kids. I just asked husband to take a look of the pictures taken. In that split of seconds, we saw Mayumi gasping...spluttering.....and apparently in trouble. While Sébastien tried to calm her and reached her hand as she gasped for air. Husband sounded like a tornado to me as he ran to off swiftly to their rescue. Obviously, Mayumi wanted to follow her brother who went just a little bit farther and since she's smaller she almost drowned. Whew, that was close!

The story does not end here. More on my next post wink

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good thing kuya was there to help her and you guys weren't too far away!

I've been to Marinduque once but I was too young to remember the experience...

Part two, please:)
Angelo said…
whew, I'm glad to hear she's safe and sound Haze!

I love your Philippine adventures, it always makes me wanna get up and go there. I'll just live vicariously through your posts for now though :)
Anonymous said…
ooppps, I meant part 4
Makis said…
Sympre typical pinoy travel snacks - skyflakes & boy bawang! Or was it really for you the boy bawang??? So funny how the kids like the tricycles but just too bad they didn't make it comfortable enough for long rides. LOL. It's really so nice to visit family & relatives in different provinces because you get to experience what is truly local.
haze said…
Mayumi can really count on to his Kuya. Good thing, it was not that grave Joanne husband was fast enough to save her!

I think it would be nice if you all go to Marinduque and visit some relatives there :d ! Part 4
soon !

We were too Angelo, thanks! When was your last visit ba? I hope one day you will really have the occassion to come and see the Philippines, a lot has changed na rin !

Now you got me there! Of course, I won't let the kids to finish the boy bawang without sharing them to me... You see I taught them to be generous LOL !!! Oh it was not really that bad at all Makis really they were comfartable as the tricycle was larger than the normal one. I was backriding because Bernard won't fit :D ! I guess,mixing the modes of transportation is certainly a great way to explore and feel to be locals. They even asked us if we can buy a tricycle and bring to France. Even in Manila they insisted but renting a car was easier and to also avoid inhaling atmospheric pollution. Next time, we'll visit them again ;)!
mitsuru said…
been to a lot of islands and places in the philipines never been to marinduque, though.

kuya to the rescue. i'm sure mayumi is proud of his big bro.

nice post, haze. :)
raqgold said…
kuya to the rescue talaga. kids and water, really an explosive combination ano? malingat ka lang konti, hayss. am glad kuya's there.

alam mo, ang ganda talaga ng pinas ano? when we were in pinas i was travelling with the kids in buses, trisikad, trisikel, at jeepneys din :D sempre, not in rush hours!
Angelo said…
Haha, I love that powerful comment you left Haze :D

If you want to know the code, I can email it or facebook it to you. I've tried to leave it as a comment before, but the comments don't let me for some reason. I did a better job with it on this post: click here... you actually don't have to quadruple click, just roll your mouse over the big pictures. It doesn't work for some people that's why I added the "quadruple click" to make them keep the mouse over the picture longer.

Last time I was in the Philippines was 2005. Hopefully I can go again soon, but in the meantime, I'll just enjoy your great pics from your great adventures!

salut!
haze said…
You should visit Marinduque next time you go on vacation Mitsuru . A must see is their colorful Moriones festival. There are also white beaches there to explore. He's super Kuya talaga!


A little help from Kuya has saved her from completely drowning. Maganda talaga sa atin at maraming mga islands and dapat i discover pa. Naku Raqgold I think kids are not afraid to try everything. tsaka sawa na rin sila ng puro kotse na lang, tricycle is exciting!

I would be glad if you can email me your secrets Angelo! I've read that post :d ! Sige will try them, thanks ;)! Yay, that's long for me, anyway I know you have your priorities and that vacationing can still wait for the moment! Sige will post some pictures again from my Philippine trip :D ! Take care Doc !
Wow! this is quite an adventure.

I love the photo with the tricycle...

I'm glad that nothing terrible had happened to your kid Mayumi...
Wil said…
I also think about the exits on those ferries. One has to be a really good swimmer to escape a ferry in case it capsizes. To hold one's breath until one reaches the surface ...
haze said…
The adventure we had was really great Dodong Flores! My kids asked me to take a photo of them while inside the tricycle! They found it amazing ;)! Thanks, we're glad to be back to Monastery safe and complete!

Husband was really worried while we traversed the island Wil ! If things turn out bad we cannot really escape right away, terrifying! Husband is a good swimmer and I'm not plus the children huhhh !! Good thing, we crossed the island smoothly ;) !