Certified B_TCH !

A childhood friend of honey likes inviting friends over to his place. He cooks very well. He interests in so many things. At 35, he started learning piano, tap dancing at 36, and perfecting his English (before I knew him he speaks very limited English). Now he will be assigned in South Korea where the company sends him and now learning Korean Language. He is really impressive and now speaking the basic Korean. Anyway, I will not be talking about him I am just really astound on how he lives his life.

Okay I’ll be talking about how he organizes his dinner invitation. Whenever he invites friends for a dinner there would always be a “theme” and invites one month in advance. One day he invited us for an “International dinner” last time it was a Piano dinner therefore almost of them play piano. For us why International? Because we are French-Filipino couple, there was the French-Chinese couple, there was a French-American lady and there was the typical French couple. It was interesting because the conversation was in French and English (Chinese woman speaks a little bit of French) so everyone were obliged to speak English. During the conversation the French guy told me that she has seen many Filipinos in Hong Kong. When they visited a church it was an English mass therefore it could only be Filipinos inside. And he was shaking his girlfriend with his elbow for her to agree of what he was saying. The girlfriend nodded to confirm but I was not happy how she said it! “ Ah oui on a vu beaucoup des Philippins qui sont tous employés de la maison ! (Ah yes, we saw a lot of Filipinos who are all house employees). In short, katulong (maid). “Excuse me mad ! A person who’s obviously has a superiority complex over the others. She gave me an arrogant impression as soon as we met. Why? Because during the discussion since it was a sort of international acquaintance she was bragging that she speaks German. That it is not a difficult language. That this is the translation in German blah blah blah! She wants to be noticed and get everybody’s attention! What a big head!

The story didn’t end there. Oh I didn’t want to get snare from her arrogant manners but I wanted to correct her. Instead I calmly went on the conversation and avoid being defensive. I contemplated on how am I supposed to retort this without sounding big headed. I asked her how would you know that everyone is working as domestic helper? But she was kind of avoiding my question by flipping her hair and could not look at me eye to eye during the conversation. Then I started to elucidate why Filipinos work abroad is because of wanting to have a better life and support the needs of the family. It’s all about attitude called sacrifice, hard work and determination. I didn’t exclude the truth about getting a job in the Philippines is really tough. There are fewer opportunities with low salary and compensation. However, for a Filipino to productively find a good company that pays well is rare and with no government aid. Filipinos abroad are not only working as helpers. There are also Filipino professionals working in Canada, USA, UK, Australia, Asian countries, in all English speaking countries even in European nations. My advocate actions came out that any kinds of assault will almost certainly tag along by retaliation without being excessively aggressive. I’ve stand out extremely proud. I told them there are perhaps 1,500 to 2,000 Filipinos in Marseille and working as house-helpers but they’ve got their diplomas back home as engineers, teachers, nurses, doctors, dentist, architects etc etc. They went to Universities like you did and we speak the English Language since kindergarten. They are humble enough to accept any job that comes on their way and never complain.

The exchange was quite tough when I started enumerating their problem in general. Telling what I thought about France, got the inkling apprehension that it is an open country and in a way with restructured standards. Unfortunately it’s not the case the way I see it after 7 years have proven me wrong. Firstly, because of the language barrier and this is a big cause that hinders us to work in companies. Secondly, our diplomas are not acceptable though I was acquainted with the need to get a formation so as to get the equivalent in France. That would mean a long way to re-start from scratch and go over a long process of assessment. Except for those who will be expatriated and the company pays for everything like taking French courses. Unlike in other countries we can even submit our CV by mail, thru internet or go as a tourist and apply when in place. Thirdly, there are some companies who seem to check on origin instead of looking on the field of competence, working experience and qualifications beforehand and let them speak for itself. As a result, no future interviews will come on their way and still stuck at apparently inescapable impasse.

In your case when someone is jobless there would always be government sector that helps you get back on track and setting things right the way you need it. There’s always the RMI (Revenu Minimum D’Insertion) a social welfare program which idea draws on assured minimum earnings. The government will always have the public obligations that render service to the people whether financially or medically. Like the Securité Sociale (SSS), CAF, CAT. Yeah right spoon feeding and still French complains and yet resulting to strike. The French guy did say a thing but not to disagree with me instead he confirmed of what I’ve just said. He said I was right, “nous sommes toujours là pour se plaindre, on est des râleurs et jamais content“ ! ( We are always there to complain, always whining and never happy! )

Whilst in the Philippines, Filipinos need to work on their own, look for a solution and stop depending on what the country could do to us. Let’s accept the sad reality that Philippines will not grow to any further extent as long as there is corruption. It will be the job of the Filipino people to work and fight against the poor system.

This is not about a battle of the brain, a comparison of people, or a sort of competition of what country is better. This is about holding back people like her to see other nationalities to be constantly a subject of an automatic stereotype. That when they see a Filipino it will be automatically branded as helpers and prostitute because they are with white men that I refuse to believe and could not accept as true and unjust! St
ereotype is never equal and will always result to unlawful discrimination. Her boyfriend has ended the conversation by asking me questions about Boracay and other tourist spots to visit. I know I have proved her wrong. I just don’t want her to look down on people like she has always a greater knowledge than others.

Comments

Chibog in Chief said…
was the bitch chinese?? you should have told her better to be a doemstic helper than to massacre and slave their own people. I have never met disgusting people like that in my life..lucky for them for i will not let them insult me without me striking back. but i admire your temper haze, bait ka talaga :-)
Anonymous said…
I haven't met a person like her, I think she needs a good slap, so you have the right to retort, good for you!
Here, Filipinos are known to be hardworking and polite. Yes, there are domestic helpers, but I think there are more Filipino nurses here now. The bottom line is, DH or nurses, they work their bl**dy socks off to gain their employers trust. That's one point to be proud about.
Lore said…
Oh this sounds all too familiar :(. I'm Romanian and sterotypes strike us too, big time! I hate that we cannot start from the same level, instead we start from level "-1000", then we work our way up by proving them wrong, and only after that we're considered worthy enough for the title of "almost equals".
I hate to say it but a person who's not open-minded enough to see that stereotypes are a stupid way of simplifying things, and that everything is different with each person, will not be opened to being convinced by an argumentative plea that he/she is wrong...or at least that's my opinion
Mommy Lutchi said…
checking you here Haze
Anonymous said…
Go Haze! Oh I think I would have enjoyed being there with you:) But you would have had to translate for me...

There is nothing wrong with being a katulong. If it's honest work, that's all that matters.
Wil said…
People unfortunately still stereotype groups. I guess all we can do is educate them.
haze said…
No it was not the Chinese lady DHANGGIT it was the French! Yes I played more on psychology in this kind situation. Am sure she just want to be the center of attraction. Hehehe hindi mabait nagtitimpi lang LOL !

Tha's exactly I was thinking PINING whether be a professional or helper as long as it's a decent job. And Filipino nurses are in demand because we don't only work or do the job because we are paid for it, because they take care of their patient like their own family! That is called concern :D !

Hi LORE welcome to my site! I do understand because my mother in-law (second wife of my Father in-law..his first wife died) is an origin of Romania. We are on the same boat unfortunately we cannot escape from this kind of people. The only thing we can do is go on with our life as ignore this kind of people though sometimes it's difficult to pass this on. It's quite unfair. I think we should just educate them thru discussing in a diplomatic way !

Thanks for passing LUCHI! I visited your blog, but not yet commented, will do that !
haze said…
Oh good thing she's not a friend JOANNE she's an invited of our husband childhood friend. I agree having a decent job and setting priorities in life is all that matters !

It was funny GERI if you just can see her how she avoided me, she looks ridiculous. The fact I hate debating but the situation permitted me to retort her false perception in general.

I do agree WIL! I was completely contrary but I stayed calm though quite sarcastic of my attack LOL :D !
Francesca said…
bababahhhh, french lady ang nanglait?

Sus, inggit lang yun. but alam ko, the Frenchies are complaining that we filipinos are making good money in their country, haha.

imagine, accountant dito partime work, 9.40€ per hour?

If ganyan i offer ng madame sa Pinay as a house employee, sasagutin sila: Madame, ikaw na linis ng kalat mo, eto vaccum cleaner mo, hehehe....
Analyse said…
those who stereotype, most of the time, are those people who doesnt know any better. they've heard or saw on a tv, or saw it just once in their life.. and they already believe that they understood the problem and could judge... and sometimes, sila rin yung naiinggit, because they cannot get the same status as you..

well, i have been confronted to some people like that.. but i just take them lightly.. they don't know anything, the sacrifices, all the reasons behind why we end up as katulongs.. and what's wrong about being katulong, it's a decent job.. i just don't get it but there are pinoys too who are not respecting this job... like they could easily say "katulong ka lang".. i mean, and so what???
Anonymous said…
Oh, she ain't international at all. Whatever that means. She simply lacks ethics and diplomacy. She shouldn't be in any party at all.
Anonymous said…
Just dropping by quickly. We'll be spending summer break in the south for two weeks, just wondering if we could meet up one day. We are flying over friday. i left a comment chez makis. We'll be two weeks free enjoying your sun. i hope we can meet up with the kiddies, it would be lovley!... buzz me up here or in my friendster ok? i'm packing up already ;-) tc!
raqgold said…
weeee, go pinoys! we know what we are and we know what we want... as for those who cant look us in the eyes...sorry for them!
haze said…
Yes a French lady who is apparently jealous FRANCESCA. I think she just really want to feel good about herself, kasi naman hindi sya center of attraction kungdi yung Chinese :D !

I agree with you ANALYSE. I would not pay attention sana but then she was talking in GENERAL. There's nothing wrong with being a maid as long as it is a decent job that pays well just enough to support a family.

Right MAJOR TOM co'z she cannot see things right. She has this attitude to look down on people, hate it ! Thank God, I will not see her again ;) !

Hey LYNNETH we'll be happy to welcome you here. Just call me or Makis if you are already in Marseille. Welcome to the south and enjoy the sun :D !

Hep hep hurray RAGGOLD! I am 100% agree!
Yen Prieto said…
i salute u ate for defending our country. luckily, ive never met someone like her na napaka judgmental. buti n lang naliwanagan siya sa mga sinabi mo hehe.
Toe said…
And one day, the Philippines will rule the world because the Chinese, the Americans, the Europeans, etc. will all be raised by these truly wonderful Filipino nannies. :)
SHIELA said…
Go Haze... ganyan talaga wag paaapi.

bTW, NICE BLOG YOU HAVE. kAYA LANG HINDI KO MAINTINDIHAN YUNG IBANG POST MO.
Anonymous said…
There are many sad realities that come with being a Filipino living abroad. I grew up abroad and now am spending my time living in different countries.

One sad reality is that no matter what talents and gifts we have, one can be sure that we would always be known as domestic help providers. Insults not only come from ignorant adult foreigners but also children. When I was in the Abu Dhabi and had the advantage of going to a British private school for rich Arabs, one of my classmates said to me, "Why are you in my school? You should be in my house, cleaning my mess!" I have heard one of my teachers refer to me as the "poor, charity Filipino student," when my father earned more than the principal at the school and my mother earned twice as much as the insulting teacher. I even remember reading an article in one leading magazine where it enumerated that a Filipina maid is one of the "must-have" for an expatriate family. The magazine did not even issue an apology at that insult.

And now, travelling to different places, I have learned that no matter what standing in life people are, they are still setback by their ignorance. When I worked at the Canadian Embassy, one of my husband's colleague learned that I grew up in the UAE. He asked me, "What did your parents do there? Were they domestic helpers or menial job workers?" Another Canadian who were with us said, "That was not a very nice comment." And so I explained to this nice, but ignorant diplomat that my father was a supervisor at Reuters and my mother was the executive assistant to the Vice-President at one of the largest oil rigs in the UAE. And I explained that even though there are indeed an overwhelming number of so-called menial job workers, we are honest, hardworking people who think only of providing well for our families.

Just last month, we were on vacation here in Tunisia. We met a well-travelled Tunisian woman married to a ranking Pentagon official. When she learned I was from the Philippines, she exclaimed, "The best maid we ever had was a Filipina!"

But my most memorable heated encounter was with a British women who said that the reason why many Filipinos all over the world flock together is because they are all maids. And when she said "maids", it was like she had something distasteful in her mouth. When I corrected her that it is not so much that they are maids but simply that Filipinos are of the habit of connecting with fellow Filipinos, she told me haughtily, "Why are you holding slight with my comment? Maybe because you just have this mentality that you have to make excuses for your countrymen's lack of good reputation." And this woman was supposed to be Oxford-educated and a diplomat's wife.

What she said struck a cord because I have noticed that some Filipinos only get to experience "dignity of labour" when they work abroad because some of those in the Philippines do frown and look down at blue collar workers.

Sorry for leaving such a long comment. Your post struck a chord in me. Lucky are those Filipinos who have never experienced such discriminations. My only hope is that by the time our children have grown up (I have two boys), the world we live in would be more educated, wordly and informed that the world we live in now.
Anonymous said…
Hello again! I was re-reading my comment when I saw some mistakes. I meant "a British woman" instead of "a British women". And I meant "worldly" instead of "wordly". With two boys running around and breaking in a new azerty keyboard, my errors are running amok!
haze said…
Hi Bernadette Anne welcome to my site :D!

OMG, your experiences are indeed revolting and this is giving me the envy to wreck one's face! Come to think of it from kids to adults they all are excessively racist bigots! It's just so sad that even a teacher can be narrow minded to treat one's person like a "poor charity Filipino students" I wonder how she became an educator!! An educator who apparently is a brainless!

Anyway, let's just hope that people of the future are more educated. I would like to think that racism will have an end though it will not be obviously easy, that depends on us people to work on it. No worries for the long comment, I like to know about your experiences as an Expat, nice exchange and thank you for visiting :D !