It's just another manic Monday

Everyone says that Monday is not a good start of the week. The fact that the most depressing day falls on Mondays are not premeditated but a stroke of bad luck. And yes it happened to me in this particular day. Today (yesterday) I normally pick up the kids from school at 11:30 and so I leave the house 10 minutes before that time. Where I normally park the car is hardly no spaces and are always full but I luckily found a location and started to do my maneuver. Suddenly, a woman inside a car stopped parallel and facing me. She saw me trying to park the car. Apparently, I parked just in front of her doorstep which I know is really a parking for everyone (it’s actually a sidewalk) but no prohibition of parking. She looked visibly discontented seeing me while she mimicked “putain” (whore) ! That was easy reading her lips from afar. She was talking to me from the inside of her car by a sign language trying to pin point that I need to get off from there and leave the parking because she lives there. I moved backward to give her a space but she insisted that I leave. I left without saying a word and started to look for another parking space.

I went to school and saw a middle age woman that I often talk with who lives not far from that b*”tch. I wanted to make sure of something before I confront that woman. I asked her If that certain street is a private parking or if the landlord has a certain agreement with the Mayor’s office that no one could park the car except for the owner. Because as a stranger though naturalized French I am not particular with the law. She told me it’s not private and that everyone has an access to it except for those who have interdiction signs. She even told me that she had witnessed that I was forcefully asked by that woman to leave the parking. She confirmed that we have an equal rights to park the car. It is communal ! Now, that was clear. She even told me that people are just complaining because it’s in front of their house and because they are egoist and they don’t have the right to forbid you from parking there. She added that the woman should have asked me nicely if she wants to park the car in front of her house and if that won’t bother me. If only she asked me politely I would easily give way but it was not the case. An arrogant individual who care less and who does not have respect for others.

After knowing that I was deprived of my right I was fuming mad. I took the kids and before I went home I knocked on that woman’s door to clarify things and to express myself but she never opened. And I can confirmed that she doesn’t have a sign of interdiction like some other proprietors who have their own prohibited parking signs. Since I know where she lives I took her home address, the plate number, the mark and colour of her car in any case I will encounter her I could probably discuss the matter with her without being an uneducated person like she did and will not go down to her level. I just want to express for what I know is right.




I parked my car in front of that white house but parking is not prohibited at all by the Mayor's office in our district. It's indeed a public parking in the sidewalk. I remember blogging about driving in Marseilles and saw this picture where the woman exactly lives.


I was thinking I was probably a victim of racism, I hope not ! What is really irritating is that I park my car everyday because it’s the only street that is near my children’s school. I calmed down (not 100%) after I talked to my husband who is in Paris and will be back on Thursday so I feel really alone with my ranting. Nevertheless thanks to some friends Makis, Kala, Hilda, and my neighbour whom I often talk to, it means a lot. I was able to release the raging anger I’ve had from my Monday bad luck !

Comments

Makis said…
You cannot imagine at what lengths people will go just for anything these days. Sometimes you wonder if they're ever embarassed at all! So funny how we both had a freakish monday :) Hard to be nice & be a bitch at the same time.LOL.
Wil said…
A lot of people are territorial. The woman was obviously wrong and should have let you park there. I suppose you can try talking to her and see what she says. Hopefully, she's not too crazy or unreasonable. :)
Chibog in Chief said…
Next time you'll encounter another story like this just: Inhale, exhale..deep breathly. Its very good to release anger that way to avoid them from filing up! Remember dogs love to pee to mark their territory, just imagine her as an ugly nasty "askal" and all your anger will disapper hehehe! Dont waste your beauty and energy with her :-)
ps, kailan ba tayo maglalakwatsa??
Apol said…
Hi, Haze! Long time, no see. I had this exact same thing happen to me yesterday in Nimes, but no "putain" fortunately. The old man just wanted me to leave so his guest can park in front of his building. I was late, and I'm not a very nice person so I didn't leave :D
Anonymous said…
It never ceases to amaze me that some people can be soooo rude. Rudeness gracious!

it's good to vent out even if its in a blog. She's probably an old shut-it lady who has nothing else to do but irritate people. relaks ka lang, masisira ang hairdo hehehe :)
Anonymous said…
Why not sue the rude woman. France is the country of birth of the concept "liberty and freedom", I am sure it's laws prohibit such gross public misconduct.

You should sue for damages, for moral anguish, anxiety and embarassment. She should be disciplined for her uncouthness.
Anonymous said…
Racism is everywhere. It's pointless to talk to racists. Just let it pass this time. :)

No, suing a person for that alone will not prosper in court. :)

What I usually do is give these bigots a dose of their own medicine. I get even. he-he
Anonymous said…
Salut Haze!

I do not want to sound unsympathetic and dispassionate but count your blessings that you live in a country where most people actually respect and follow traffic rules and not the law of the jungle! Just think how much worse it is in the Philippines or other countries.

But then, it does not mean you do not have the right to be angry. I often wonder why people waste their time calling people names.

Just remember, it takes more self-respect, self-control and good manners to respond civilized than to act as that woman did. You acted with grace under fire and pressure.

But if I were you, if it happens again, do not let it pass. Enough is enough. Mind you, that is only me. I am never one who followed the saying, "If someone slaps you, offer your other cheek!"

You shouldn't have left. The only problem is how would the woman retaliate for you inconveniencing her? Better safe than sorry sometimes! =)
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
raqgold said…
hmm, sometimes we'd really encounter such arrogant, rude people. i have boycotted at least two stores around here just because they were rude to me in front of my kids and it is when i am with them that i tend to be offended more because we try to raise our kids to a nice envt and here comes someone trying to create trouble! good thing you've got friends to let off steam.
soulsheik said…
Hi Haze,

I don't think you're unlucky during Mondays. But think you are, because you anticipate it ominously.

Baka "Monday blues" lang, kasi trabaho na naman, wala na naman mga bata sa bahay.

Shrug it off. Don't let her win by getting offended by what she did. Bernadette Anne is right, "You acted with Grace under fire and pressure.."

Come next monday, just try, an experiment of sort, pretend you are happy it's monday and smile as often (even to strangers)even if you don't feel like smiling.

Tell me about it next time.

Take care, God Bless you and your family.
Anonymous said…
Oh my goodness, I can actually feel how how exasperated you are!
"I was probably a victim of racism", makes you wonder if she would have done the same thing if you're not the colour of your skin... I know the feeling!
Anonymous said…
It wil be Monday again in another day. I hope it'll be a better one.
Next time , i - put*#!a mo rin.
Kainis talaga.

Me though, I'd rather avoid confrontation. The next time would be a different issue.

Cool ka lang ha!
Raquel said…
Yay, what a bad Monday Haze. It's good that you have friends like Makis, Kala and Hilda that you can talk with. So, how is hubby's trip from Paris?
Anonymous said…
Nice site..
haze said…
MAKIS : and if I really want to be a bitch I could have confronted the woman. But then, I realized if did that she could do something with my car and deny it at the same time.


WIL : that is in fact my second step when I see her again, will really clarify things. To let her understand that we have both an equal rights!

DHANGGIT : agree! I think its not because she's french it's her territory aba may K rin ako!


LA POMME/APOL: I'm good and you? How have you been ? Wow, next time I should come late and maybe it could make me a disagreeable person too! Tsskkk, next time, I will do that!


MAHALIA: blogging helps me a lot to really release the anger and frustration. Kahit man lang sa blogging makaganti LOL !


MAJOR TOM: it is indeed a country of equality and liberty only in words but not in deeds, I would say in certain events!


MITSURU: hahaha right! Unfortunately, racism will never fade!


BERNADETTE ANNE: FYI, Marseillais is the worst driver you could ever find in the whole France. And there are more people who does not obey the traffic rules than obeying them. It's not easy to drive here because roads are narrow and uphill. No parking spaces and with expensive parking lots. I am a patient driver and if people think they need respect I am too !

RAQGOLD: and yes they lost a good client. I always see her car but I didn't do any harm, bah I still believed in bad karma.


SOULSHIEK: thanks! I didn't react because I wanted to avoid her destroying my Monday. But then again, it's good I left without saying a word because she could have damaged my car without me knowing, remember I parked the car in her doorstep.

PINING: yes and it happened to me few times so I did not exclude that idea.

LEAH: I' am really a patient person but if we talk about equality I don't mind confronting diplomatically the concerned person.


RAQUEL: and I am glad they are always there to cheer me up!
Leah said…
Hi haze, hope you're doing fine.

I tagged you over at
http://mga-munimuni.com/2008/10/19/4-things-meme/
Anonymous said…
Haze,
You are definitely cool and level-headed. Ako, usually, pero pag nakita ko yong sabi niya na "putain" baka hindi ko mapigil na murahin sya. And then after, of course, I'll feel bad and think about how I could have handled it better and more maturely:)
haze said…
I was really controlling my anger Joanne! Gusto ko na nga rin murahin eh lol ng englsih kasi para mataranta sya :D. Sometimes, we can be out of hand, it's just normal even mature and calm people could turn madly crazy !