ignorance has no place


It was Friday that we wanted to make a bank to bank transfer to Philippines. From our account to my sister's account since doing a withdrawal from ATM using our Visa Card is impossible because it is quite an important sum. That day, heading to our bank we were given a form to fill up. There were a lot of details asked and the only informations I have is the account number of my sister, the incomplete bank address (without zip code or postal code) and her house address. Therefore, the transfer was cancelled because they refused to accept an incomplete information. Out of hand, we were disappointed with the person who was accommodating us because service was not rendered as we expected him to do.

Today, my sister emailed me all the details and then finally I was able to make the transfer this afternoon. But the message I'm trying to reiterate here is that knowing our zip code is really consequential. Why ? Because I had the hard time filling up the form because they were asking the city and the zip code. My sister is living in Mandaluyong and the bank is in Makati so how the hell I would know every zip code of the Philippines. I'm trying to check google but the informations stated were not enough. We have many cities, districts and suburds in the Philippines and each of those have it's own zip code. It's like here in Marseille whatever district (arrondisement) you are living you need to put the postal code if not letters will be returned without them searching (the post office).

I learned my lesson well. I have noted everything concerning every addressess I have with zip code on it so then I will not have problems in the future. My conclusion.....Living in another country means knowing more of our country ! Probably, if I am still living in the Philippines I would not care about the zip code and I will maybe find it insignificant. Perharps having a better customer service is always we can be proud of. Even if the letter has no zip code the postman will still render a better service and assistance.

Comments

lakbaydalanmaps said…
My experience with atm and Visa was scary. When I tried to withdraw money from an atm here in Ciudad Colon, Costa Rica, my card was captured. Got to go to another town just to pick it up. Hmmmm! Before that I had tried at another bank--3 attempts were cancelled. The Visa logo? It turned out to be walang "Bisa" pala!
Francesca said…
haze, korek ka. sa pinas di uso (or usual gamit) ang zip code, tanong lang postman sa isang ka bryo, kilala may ari ng sulat or money order. Kahit liblib pa lugar magkakilala tao don!
yon lang di nga accepted ng banks dito na ganon! inis noh!

ganito ginagawa ko sa mga anak ko para magpadala in case emergency.
I took a suplementary visa card for them, send it to them, give them the code and they took money to hsbc up to 30thou weekly.
Of course patayin ko sila if they get those amounts, kasi nakamonitor sa account ko rito sa france, kaya di sila pede pasasa!

buti naayos din padala mo. Iwas ata sila sa big money laundry kaya lagi complete infos dapat!

haaay kagulo noh?
Analyse said…
ngek, seems to be not so important info for me, as in they really asked you to provide it?

but well, you're right. when i arrived here, it was then that i knew more about the philippines hehe.
Makis said…
I just learned our zip code in Las Piñas after a year of living in France.Didn't know that zip codes can be so important in bank transfers. Now we know.
Anonymous said…
You're right, I probably wouldn't bother knowing my own zip code if I were still back there. Zip codes are also required here in Canada. Otherwise, the letter would be returned to sender. But there are ones that gets delivered too but it could be delayed.
haze said…
Welcome and thanks for hpooing lakbaydayanmaps :) I am sure you are kidding with this "walang bisa"? You're right it's scary to withdraw from an ATM coz there's a lot of roberry going on using a detector machine to know the secret code ! So let's stay vigilant! hope to see you soon again :)

To Fran, Ana, Makis & Niceheart - yes that is the French Bureaucracy or should I say Europeans. Very strict and straight ! To avoid confusion on both parties they prefer us to provide the complete info. anyway it is for our own good di ba! It would help us to be aware of our country's zip code! Even it's just a 4 digit numbers it means a lot !
Anonymous said…
Hello Haze,

Ganyan talaga when in terms of money, kilangan black and white lahat ng information.

Nowadays, most postal offices in the Philippines are requiring you to put the zip code both sender and receiver.

Raquel
Anonymous said…
ha ha ha so now you've learned, kailangang complete ang data/documents mo bago pupunta sa banko, sa Mairie, o kahit saan.
Buti na lang hindi nag-leave hubby mo on that day, kasi palpak ang lakad. :-))

Yes, you are right. Ignorance has no place, it's not even an excuse.

P.S. Oy, napanood mo ba ang The Sentinel? Oks ba? Parang gusto kung panoorin. :-)) Grabe, bilib ako sa iyo ha, talagang updated!!
Anonymous said…
Hi Raquel oo nga mas maganda if infos are complete! That's good that they now require people to put the zip code...kung kumpleto mas madadali di ba! Have a nice day!

Hi Joy been long time, thanks to my hubby's RTT though it was unsuccessful di pa rin maiwasan uminit ang ulo kasi na di naman sila ganon ka accommodating dito di ba! Ils cherchent pas loin non plus !

Yes it's not an excuse and besides better to be familiar to our own country rather than be a stranger!

Hay naku di ko pa napapanuod! I just hope to see it before it ends in the wide screen :)Hay naku buti na nabawasan pagka TV addict ko eh kasi dahil sa makulit ko na si Mimi he he he buti na lang behave si Basti ;-). Have an enjoyable day ahead of you !
Anonymous said…
That's weird, I did a bank to bank transfer here and all they needed is the bank name, account number and the swift code (that's how they distinguish the bank name and location). And of course who you are sending the money to.
I find that sending money through the bank is so expensive kasing anlaki ng service charge.

I discovered PNB though. Meron nyan sa Canada. Check out there website (http://www.pnb.com.ph/) if its available there.
Mas mura pa ang service fee. O kaya pwede rin Western Union.
Anonymous said…
Hi Leah, yes SWIFT Code is very important and I have it with me already! You know as what I have said that's French bureaucracy masyadong strict or siguro napatapat ako sa taong ewan !

We have western union too in France since it is Int'l. but it is more expensive. I tried it many times :( ! Thanks for the link I'll check it later on. Have a nice day !
Anonymous said…
yep, i think they're more strict now regarding to zip codes than they used to. lalo na when you're using western union, dami nilang tinatanong, well on my own experienced lang ha.

oo nga pala, i just visited your kids place. i tried to leave a comment on their tagboard bu i couldn't get thru. i enjoyed reading their blog and viewing Mimi's videos. =)

happy weekend and kisses to the kids!
Anonymous said…
Hi Ligaya,right Western Union too is very strict and expensive pa di ba!

Thanks for hopping Ligaya on my Kids site, but how come you couldn't leave a message?? Hhhhmmm ano kaya problema ? Check ko rin nga ;)
Anonymous said…
hello sistah,
I'm sending before to my mom thru western union. Wala namang postal code na tinanong. It's more about the sender details (my address & phone). Yung receiver naman, phone lang hiningi and how much money will i have to send my mom. That's it. I've been doing that since nasa Saudi Arabia pako. So far, wala namang aberya about zip codes. And my mom receives the money as soon as i send it. It's like, i fax lang the money to her. Mabilis.
Anonymous said…
Hi Sistah Nao, ewan ko ba napatapat siguro ako sa taong me galit hahaha! Pero kasi I am used to withdraw money from ATM then I will send it thru PCI Bank dito. They have someone who receives the money from here and she will just call Philippine office. 1st time ko kasi mag bank to bank transfer using our bank! Western Union ina avoid ko kasi malaki ang charge nila sayang!
Anonymous said…
update naman dyan sistah!
missyah!!!!!