temporary

Whew ! Previous month have been quite busy. Now, I am back and I have promised to update this blog once a month. I broke my promise but with a good cause. I was working ! Yes working outside. Have been out all the time to help a friend who just opened her business. My job is to take orders, serving dishes, arranging and cleaning tables, handling the payment by cards, cash or checks. Sometimes I also help her in the kitchen to cook the "plat du jour" (menu of the day). Honestly, I  was not trained for this (but I tried hard) not even have the specific qualifications to do the job so I was a little bit lost. My friend had taught me a lot how to do this correctly. Honestly, serving is not as simple as that. A job of a waiter/waitress goes beyond....it's not just taking orders and cleaning after. To do this difficult task one must have a proper training. There are techniques and guidelines to follow. I never really imagine how hard this job could be. Someone must be quick on their feet and to have a good memory. 

Number one in the list : one must never forget to smile even you have had a bad hair day. Now matter how tiring your day is, it should not affect you do your work. Smile is contagious remember. Be Observant : this should mean you do not forget "food partners". Meaning if a client orders a French fries do not forget to serve him condiments (salt, ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard and the likes). This shows that you pay attention to your clients. Do not wait for them to ask you for something they need, propose instead. Most importantly, show them that you are a "menu expert". Having to know the restaurant menu is fundamental. It a good exercise that you explain what is the menu of the day and would be able to answer all their questions. Plus, a deft waiter should be able to make suggestions because client sometimes could be lost or undecided. 

The list could be so long, there are more techniques to follow and to put into practice. I guess, I should get a training for this because one time, I took all the glasses while clients were not done eating.. They've just finished the main menu, dessert is just coming up. The lady told me not to take the glasses yet. I was so embarrassed so I just excused myself. But, it's part of my learning as a temporary waitress. 
 
This is why I always give a tip when I go to restaurant but this also depends on the service of the waiter/waitress. It was quite an intense experience as I was able to go out from the ordinary life I have. 

photo taken from this site, thank you.

Comments

malor said…
I was told by a colleague when I was whining about my nursing job that being a waitress is more difficult than nursing. Her sister is a waitress. Seems like you are doing your job really well and seriously. Here in the US, tipping 20 percent is a must because the wait staff earns less than the minimum wage and their main source of income is the tip.
Makis said…
Waitressing is a juggling act plus to add the demanding French customers :) I'm still looking forward to the KFC treat!
haze said…
I don't know anything about restaurant service but I take this as a big challenge anyway ! It's true it's hard to work in this domain but I am learning everyday ! Thank you Malor, they don't give tips because it's a self service, but that's okay !

Makis, yes demanding Frenchies though that's not only what I encounter there are also good ones, buti na lang !!! Dali visit me in Marseille for a KFC treat ;) !