Just a thought

I wonder why Philippines isn't competing whenever there is an Olympic game. According to what I have read because I am really curious about it, the Philippines first sent athletes for competition was in 1924. That made the first country to compete and won a medal in the Southeast Asia. Since then, they have joined every summer Olympic games and have also competed the winter Olympic games on three different events since 1972 until 1994. The Philippines was the first tropical country to ever participate in the Winter Olympic Games.  It's just so unfortunate we have good athletes and our government couldn't send them. Why ? Luck of funds ? Not so sure about it. I was thinking we are the only airport that pays terminal fee and it costs 550php/person for International flight and 200php/person for domestic flight, that would be a lot of money!  I wonder where it goes ?


According to  MIAA, General Manager Jose Angel Honrado, they will use the fund for the acquisition of sophisticated equipment, including new surveillance cameras, X-ray machines, body scanners, shoe detector machines, explosive detection system, among others. But since I went this April-May vacation back home I haven't seen any progress. When my husband backpack was stolen the police airport said that they will check it from  the surveillance camera CCTV we were confident about it. Yes, there are CCTV but they are not working. Tssk tsk tsk ! Sad to say, this is just one example of corruption.

Contemplating  as I watched the Olympic Games, and saw other Asian countries competed and was able to bag medals in many categories. How I wish Philippines is one of them !

Comments

Chibog in Chief said…
I think that the Olympic rankings based on medal is proportionate to the "economic power" of the country. No doubt why USA is always on the top 3. We may have good filipino sportsmen but I think we still lack the level to compete internationally. Simply because it cost money to train them, etc...Don't worry in beauty and brains international tilt we always bag the title :-)
malor said…
Hi Haze, I agree with you. I am sad that Philippines is still the same. I haven't been back since I came here in the US -- more than 15 years ago.

I think the Philippines should just focus on sports that they could be good with physically such as gymnastic, diving, badminton, etc. To compete internationally, we need hardwork and dedication. The US government does not support any athlete at all. So, it's all the athlete's expense and hardwork. You don't really need to be that rich either. Many of the American athletes are middleclass or below niddleclass. But I agree that the governement needs to help by providing amenities such as community pools and gymns. Or encourage sports in school. And provide good school lunch for good physical development.

malor said…
I am sorry for your husband's backpack. That could ruin any vacation.
haze said…
Hilda, undoubtedly we have good athletes and I am convinced they could compete internationally. It's not about winning it's about representing the Philippines with and a little financial aid would do di ba !

Hi Malor,, I hope you could come and visit home soon. I didn't know about that Athletes are not financially supported by the government, thanks for the info. I think it's the best to support athletes by providing what they need for the training.

Yes, it happens anywhere and it will always serve a good lesson !