backpack turns into a nightmare

Fours years is quite long for me before going on a vacation to the Philippines. We normally go to the Philippines every two years because we want our children to adapt the Filipino life and experience their cultural heritage. The last time we went there was 2008. We're supposed to go back 2010 but  I gave birth and the baby was too small to travel so the trip pushed through for 2012. To update you,  we just recently went on a one month trip to the Philippines. One hour flight from Marseilles to Paris went okay. At Paris airport we have waited 2 hours only  before our flight to Beijing. Kids were happy to watch films during that long trip and they were able to sleep as well. Arriving Beijing we stayed 5 hours at the airport before our last destination. Husband was able to take a nap. I was unable to fall asleep over a long period of time... it's always the case anyway. Kids were full of energy so they have played all along at the airport. Beijing airport is clean, huge and comfortable. We have our 2 backpacks and my shoulder strap bag with me with all the important stuffs. Trip was exhausting for everyone. Good thing my little Chiara was so nice during that long trip. She never had tantrums or anything.


Final destination Philippines, home at last and we were all happy! It was 11:30 in the evening and everybody was tired plus we needed to take our luggages in the middle of that many crowd. Always a huge hassle in any kind of trips especially with three kids in tow. We need to get prepared for a crazy walk going out of the airport. Probably after half an hour or more of waiting we got our luggages with two caddies. I don't know but that night it was really strange I have never seen Manila Airport that busy and crowded. It was my 4th time to go back home since 2001 and I feel that arriving Manila airport is always a challenge. We were all exhausted and  weren't paying more attention. It is my country I should have had common sense and go with extreme precaution. I was so careless !

So careless, that one of our backpacks was stolen, I admit it was entirely my fault. I wanted to check on my siblings on the other side of the barrier where families, taxis, services are waiting to pick up the arriving people. I told husband that I will just check if my siblings are there already although he refused that I leave him with 3 kids and with 2 caddies full of luggages. Telling me that he wouldn't be able to look after them plus the caddies full of luggages in that crowded and disorganized airport. I had the backpack with me full of important stuffs, like his wallet (good thing there was no money in it) but with all his personal documents, his computer dive watch, diving lamp and most importantly the new bought underwater proof camera casing which I just put it in one of the airport caddies without telling him. The backpack was just beside my son who was in the caddy but the thief already spotted us big time! I still went away and took my baby with me and left them just like that! It was imprudent of me that I almost forget that Manila airport is the worst and chaotic place to be! It believe it's not only in Manila but everywhere in the world. Airports are the most stressful place to be. I'm so naive, I know that we are a potential PREY like most of the OFW's to the bystanders. Husband  told me that It's like I don't know my country and that I wasn't born there!

I wouldn't go through all the details as this post wouldn't be enough to tell you the whole misfortune of our vacation. Honestly, I was happy and excited to go back to my country and see my family, relatives, friends but because of what happened it's sad to say that our vacation was spoiled in this way. 

To you out there, always be on guard anytime when you check-in and check-out at the airport. Don't look lost when you arrived to any airports. Or don't be too much excited especially in your home port.  Do not take for granted of your belongings when you saunter around the airport....be very vigilant ! I hope through this post it could help you to be alarmed at all times. A little preparation is not bad to help us ensure that it's nice to travel but it should not turn into a complete nightmare and spoil the whole vacation.

Comments

kala said…
What a terrible homecoming, but I'm glad that the rest of the trip went smoothly. I'm glad though that what was stolen is easily replaceable... like you said, better that than someone getting hurt or sick.
The next time I'm in the Philippines I'm going to hold my bags close to me! Yikes!
Makis said…
Always be careful everywhere! Although, more when you're in the Philippines :)
Keith said…
I am happy you finally got to the islands again. I pray the who;e trip was not tainted by the opening act. It is a beautiful country indeed.
malor said…
My goodness. I wonder what kind of a person would do such a thing.. Shame on him.
haze said…
Kala, I really felt guilty it was all my fault. I know it's only material things and we can get it back in time. It's just so depressing because husband saved a lot just to have all those diving stuffs. Absolutely, lesson learned and yes stay vigilant :) !

I agree Makis!!! EVERYWHERE talaga !

Hi Keith,, yes it's a beautiful country I admit. I still enjoyed the stay despite of what happened.

I don't blame the person Malor, it's our responsibility to take care of our stuffs (especially me) because it's my hometown. What can I do poverty is the root of all, unfortunately, they want an easy money :( !