growth & challenges

Philippines is known to be a “third world country”. The term 3rd World is I guess outdated one, meaning nations which were not a branch of the Soviet or American slab at some stage of the Cold War. It came out on the latter that poor countries are considered a developing nations. I just wish that they will stop using this expression. And they will give us a chance to prove that we are indeed making our way to greater evolution. Not only the Philippines but most of Asian countries or other countries in this category who try to step forward at their own means. Let’s just take a good example of the eternal communist countries (mainly China) have imprecise the line between communism and capitalism. Apparently, they are everywhere and ruling the market. I’ve read that Chinese starts to silently invades Africa . Communist China is quickly preying the gigantic natural resources of sub-Saharan Africa. According to what I have read, an in-depth report that oil, copper, timber, precious metals -- China has swooped in to secure long-term deals.

I am still hopeful ! It's time Philippine economy to prove its worth. Arroyo said “Right now, we’re not Third World anymore,”. “At $1,400 we are now Second World, a middle class country. We’ll be able to achieve, if we are able to continue the trajectory of one-percent decline in the poverty level, we can reach hopefully the First World status by the year 2020.” I would like to believe her but why wait until 2020 ?

Philippines is a country rich in natural resources like other Asian countries which are now gradually developing. So I just hope they will realize and be fair that third world countries too have a clear sense of progression.





Comments

malor said…
I am not sure I agree with Arroyo on her remark that we are a middle class country. Before I came to the the US, I thought I came from a middleclass family. Comparing the lifestyle here and there, I, painfully, found out that my family can be considered poor in American standard. We are not hungry but we just get by and live barely pay check to pay check. Anyway, it is very optomistic of Gloria, but how can we be considered middlecalss when most Filipinos go out of the country for work? Don't start me with the infrastructure. Maybe in Manila, it is okay but in the provice? Speaking of Manila, what did they do with the pollution and squatter problems? The education? We have a long way to go.

About China? I don't know if I trust China's progress that much. They rely heavily on exports. Companies go there because of relatively cheap labor. There are lots of foreign investments in China right now because of these and of course they have a population who can possibly be consumers that can possibly sustain the growth. They are cossing their fingers because Chinese are savers and not spenders like the Americans.

Anyway, this is such a complicated topic and my knowledge is limited but this I know Filipinos should learn how to be self-sustaining first and start thinking about the future. The future means stopping brain drain, investing heavily on education (the good one) and cleaning the government.
haze said…
This is not surprising Arroyo's words are no doubt political strategy ! Obviously, in the Philippines there is still an extreme gap between the rich and the poor. Likewise, being middle class in the Philippines is considered poor in America and other rich European countries. Sad to say in many backcountry infrastructures are still under developed. I have lived in the Province of Quezon until now rough roads are present in many barrios. About Filipinos working abroad they've been a big help to the Phillippine economy thanks to remittances but that is not enough. Working abroad has become a way of life in the Philippines so as not to be dependent on the government as there is none. It's the best way to personally cope up with family crisis!

Undoubtedly, China is taking over the world, and has always been a nation of "Capitalist Mentality"! They don't care if they are poorly paid as long as they have the money. Plus, once the products are labeled "Made in China" = poor quality (that's the general opinion). Many companies in US and European countries are closing because China offers cheap labors, quantity than good quality, that's for sure. And I am not definitely hoping that for Philippines.

I agree 101% with you Malor, well said ! I am not an economist neither, this subject is very large and complicated. I think the first thing to do is to clean the Philippine government then good results follow.
Keith said…
i remember a woman telling me that the middle class is quickly disappearing from the pilippines. i told her to take comfort in knowing here in america, we are working hard to do the same thing.

polarity is occurring. people in the "middle class" are moving, up, and moving down. few remain in the middle