Push to the limit !

I tried to convince my husband that I will not drive in Corsica. Since I had my licence I never get to drive here as it could be stressful….stressful, and have aggressive, crazier drivers than in Marseille. For some great reasons that roads are not only twisted but also very narrow. Add to that quite dark roads without no lights in the mountain side could be really exhausting and dangerous especially at night. Some part of the roads have lights only when you enter in the rural area. Along that winding roads will be in total darkness. When I mean dark just imagine yourself blind ! This is a not to exaggerate things.

Image from goolge.com

We went to Bastia to spend sometime at the beach since we’ve gone to rivers three times already during our first week in Corsica. Later that day we have to meet up with hubby’s childhood friend who’s apparently organizing a karaoke every Friday night. Obviously, we have stayed up late. My intuition serves me right since yesterday morning when we left the house that I will definitely drive during the night going back to the mountain. So husband was slowly preparing me mentally since then. Trying to ask me if I would feel comfortable to drive around. My answer was I will be stressed out but I will try my best that we get back home in one piece. Do I have a choice ?

At exactly 11 in the evening we decided to leave the karaoke party. Leaving the city of Bastia driving was still okay like most of the big cities as we’ve got a clear vision. Husband was still in good shape and capable to drive around the city. As expected he did not hesitate to ask me to drive for 15 minutes as all of a sudden fatigue has set in. He only asked me for 15 minutes of sleep for him to recover. That took me a special kind of angst when he stopped the car in the midst of darkness and gave me the wheel right just in time to drive in that narrow, dark and winding roads of Corsica. He was trying to tell me that it’s okay if I am afraid he’ll continue driving. I told him I’m not scared but I will admit I am starting to stress out !!! Of course, I would rather obliged myself rather than let him drive under fatigue which could be detrimental.

I took the wheel and drove. I was all by myself while everyone else is asleep. Husband was asleep in just a matter of seconds. The only sound that keeps me awake was the severe snoring of husband and son and the awful roads I have to take. As I drove on our way back it was constantly uphill, downhill, twisting, dark roads back to the mountain. I don’t simply care if the pet peeves find me slow. And because of a number of crazy drivers on the road even at night I kept my calm and tried to focus myself. It was difficult to drive particularly when approaching those blind curves or going towards the inside of a fairway with obstructed visibility as there were drivers who tried to tailgate me. Normally, the maximum speed is 70 km/hr but I was driving at the speed of 60 during that zigzag roads but one thing I am sure of that wild drivers were driving fast enough like a serious racer. Some parts is at 90 and 110 km/hr on the departmental highway is long and straight . I have used my head light (high beam mode) when I found myself driving alone and needed to changemy headlight to low beam mode in case there are cars coming from the opposite lane or for those who tried to double take when they got the chance. A forgotten 15 minutes has long gone !

My driving all went well! I have realized that driving in Corsica is not that bad at all it only demands constant attention and prudence twice more than I do. Finally, we’ve arrived the junction after 45 long minutes of driving in the dark going to the village itself. From the junction I've tried waking him up to pass the steering wheel and he did. He said thank you to me and complimented me because we have reached the carrefour successfully within the expected time-frame. He was expecting that it will took me more than that. From that moment, I immediately found myself relieved from everything. Husband drove for another 15 minutes and finally got home in good time, tuckered out and glad to be back. I want to kiss the ground and thank the heavens we got back all in one piece. ...

Comments

Chibog in Chief said…
You need to drink more tequila to conquer fear when driving LOL!! This reminded me when my friends and I tried to learn how to drive in the hilly mountains of Tagaytay way back in college hehehe, well good thing you all arrive in one piece that is the essential :-)guess from now on Bernard can sleep longer hahahaha just kidding
Good job Haze! That showed real guts. Speaking of....I gotta muster the nerve to get my license myself...
Makis said…
I sometimes get stressed too when driving in new places but I relax once behind the wheel. I guess it reminds me that I do know how to drive..? LOL! Being too stressed is different from being careful ;-) With more practice you'll rally down the slopes of Corsica!
haze said…
No drink and drive for me Dhanggit or else I may lose points ! Remember I still have one year before I take that famous "A" :( !


Thanks Ate Lou! I don't know if you can call it guts, I was just obliged talaga lol ! I just don't want to feel useless...I can drive anyway even under stress :D ! Goodluck to you and I'm sure you'll have it soon !

You have more than 1O years of experience Makis so I think you're PRO compared to me ;)! That's what Bernard is trying to remind me that I do know how to drive, so why panic?? After all the driving around Marseille in one way or another it helped to have aggressive approach on the road and prudent at the same time ! Yay, I was really stressed out....my hands were cold and transpiring all through out of my driving hahahaha! I don't know if I'll drive again siguro pag obligado talaga :D !
Wil said…
I am not a fan of driving on winding roads, especially in the mountains. In fact, when I was volunteering at a Botanical Garden located out in the boonies, I didn't return after my first day because of the winding road in the mountains. Also, I agree with your hubby that a quick nap (12-15 minutes) helps before driving if one is tired.
Sidney said…
I am sure you will end as a F1 driver !
Anonymous said…
Well, congratulations haze. That is one big challenge that you took and you surpassed with flying colours. :)
yusop said…
driving can be so real tiring, much more in the countrysides or in long stretches. I get to weak at times after driving all day that I just sleep and sleep after that.
Hey, that's what we call real courage. If I can call what you feel in driving as fear and anxiety, I guess that was probably my feeling the first time a wheel was handed to me the first time in the highway. But after that, I developed courage and boldness in driving that until later I became a racer. I used to participate in illegal jeepney racing held every Good Friday in our place in Mindanao. I was only 18. Since then, I didn't look back...

Since you're posting a blog entry about driving, please allow me to share with you my latest long-distance driving two years ago. If you can allow me to post the link here, here is it: http://travelogue.digitalrebel.ws/2007/08/northernluzon2007.html
Keith said…
You share delightul stories. I remain grateful I do not drive, but I do occasionally miss the freedom
Unknown said…
One thing that I a certain of now after reading your blog that is you are going to be one great driver one day.

english courses in london

Thanks for the share.