Can we be friends ?

A lot of social network sites have been cropping up like mushrooms such as Friendster, Facebook, MySpace and so on. But I’ve been loyal to Friendster and Facebook as I have found a lot of my long lost friends. I admit it’s real fun. Had open myspace but it's inactive and do not have twitter.

I've been too lazy to blog, thus I enjoy surfing and try to find friends in Facebook. In one week, I saw 5 friends and we’re re-connected. We even exchanged mails to catch up. One day, I was chatting with a very good friend from college about reconnecting with friends. The thing is, it’s not only friends but suitors and Ex’s I was trying to locate…to be honest hahaha ! Well, I am just so curious to find out what have they become nothing more nothing less. So I told my friend that I found her ex. Her ex and us were good friends during University days. Well, it’s not my business to any further extent if they will invite each other. But my friend asked me if she’ll invite him so I told her why not? But she was hesitant because she does not want to create any problem between the couple. Goodness gracious, that was long time ago…15 years is not yesterday rolleyes ! I would understand if they just broke up recently. Plus she did not even remember how they broke up. In addition to that, she’s into a long time relationship and her ex is married with one kid. I don’t see any problem….well for me in that matter. After all, there is life after break-ups so do not be a prisoner of that I advised her. Do not put malice in inviting him. She just asked my two cents and that’s what I think. Well both of them are grown ups individuals. Their objectives in life have changed. They’ve been together only for 2 years during their time (as far as I know) and clicked. Separated with no hurt feelings. I guess, becoming friends worth a shot thru social networks.

I don’t know, but personally past is past except if the break-ups were striking and painful. Then, forget about inviting your ex’s. It’s just a matter of determining what intensity of break-ups a person have had from the past. What do you think about this? Is it really possible for them to become friends? I am curious to know your sides
lol !

Comments

Angelo said…
Salut Haze. I personally hate facebook. I was really addicted to friendster when it was popular, and I was able to wean myself off of it. So when facebook popped up, I tried to avoid it as much as possible. You're right though, I've re-connected with friends from as far back as grade school! It's just an information overload. I mean people reveal enough by blogging, but facebook is just overkill... some people anyways.

But back to the issue at hand. I personally don't have any contact with ex-s.... especially when I'm in a current relationship. I feel like the past should be in the past and I have enough friends that I don't need to be friends with someone that I was intimate with. I think when you were intimate with someone, it changes the dynamic of the relationship and there's a line crossed. It also depends on the person you are with, whether they would be cool with you staying in touch with your ex. When I was with Tu Anh, I wasn't even allowed to be friends with girls who she was threatened by, which was any girl I was close with. So if I knew what was good for me, I better just avoid those people as much as possible.

I agree with you though, if your break up was amicable and so much time has passed, it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe I never had a realy amicable break up hehe...
Analyse said…
same here, i searched for my old flames, ex-es, crushes, lahat.. i'm just ok to re-connect and be friends with them, as you said, past is past, and since they're part of my past, i want to know what had they become, nothing more, nothing less. i even told frenchguy when i found my bestfriend to whom i first fell in love with, i was like a little girl, kinikilig pa hahaha, malapit na kong batukan ni L haha..

but depende din sa tao yan, i found my ex in friendster, he added my sisters on his friend's list, i even saw a message of him to my sis asking my bro's number.. so i messaged him asking for news, aba, deadma beauty ko, galit pa din sa kin hahaha..
Chibog in Chief said…
I believe there is always a dark side and a bright side on all of these social networking sites :-) I'm not an addict to either of it but sometimes I find time to browse around....well as on contacting past flames I really don't see any problem on it, specially if we are sexier and prettier now: para magsisi sya on what he just missed! LOL
vernaloo said…
IMO, no biggie. If things are totally over then I see no reason why she shouldn't :) When I say "over", over as in wala ng effect kahit makita mo sha with his or her family or makita mo shang masaya na sa buhay nya.

Kung ako ang nasa situation, I wouldn't really care. I will not invite him kasi hindi naman kailangan but yes, I will accept the invitation if he invites me.
Depends on a few things...if your (and their!) current partner doesn't mind, if you're absolutely sure there are no old sparks to fan, if the ex is basically an OK person whose friendship will be a blessing....Anyway, that's my two cents worth :-)
haze said…
I've been addicted to FS before but I successfully detoxified myself Doc Angelo! Though, I am starting to get hooked with FB hahaha.

Well, I guess it will always depends on the situation. Like considering your partner's sensitivity to avoid possible conflicts. Or depending on the intensity of your past relations (break-ups and so on). Break-ups are unpleasant, however it can certainly be amicable in the long run.

I think you had an uncomplicated relationship Ana kaya go and invite lol ! I'm sure L won't overreact on that matter. Layo mo kaya sa kanila.

Revenge is sweeter ika nga Dhanggit. Seriously, I am glad to know that my ex's are living a healthy and happy life. (evenif they're not on my friends list yet)

Yeah right Verns wag lang yung kaka break ha! It'll be a big issue lol (you know what I mean). It would be better if he's the one who'll first invite you. Just to be on the safe side di ba!

I absolutely agree Ate Lou! The partners in life really counts and we should not ignore them. Case to case basis lagi talaga! You're 2 cents worth is right and fair enough ;) !
Anonymous said…
Hi Haze,

I don't see anything wrong with trying to find out how past boyfriends/girlfriends are doing (especially if the relationship was over eons ago). It's only natural to be curious about people we were once close to. But it's important to let our husbands/wives know about it so there's no question that the love we have is only for them.
Anonymous said…
Hi there!

I was referred to your blog by francescainfrance/ms amy who I contacted through email. I'm living in Aix right now but leaving France soon and was wondering if there's an LBC or another courrier service company in Marseille I can use to send stuff back home. I tried looking online, but malabo and I heard there is indeed an LBC.

I hope you can help me. Many many thanks in advance! :)

Rodelyn Grace (rodelyn_grace@yahoo.com)
Wil said…
If its awkward or difficult for one party or both parties to reconnect, then perhaps its best not to reconnect for the moment. They should just move forward and not look back. Remember what happened to Lot's wife when she looked back? hehe.
yusop said…
Ha..ha...I could see lots of uncomfortable moments with ex's, or perhaps funny moments here and there...
Anonymous said…
Hi Haze! How have you been? Hm, interesting post! I say, let sleeping dogs. If it were really in the past, leave it in the past, especially if there were issues. If there were no issues, why not? Facebook and all those social networking have become a popularity contest for some people, they are no longer solely means of social networking.
Jo Travels said…
2 of my ex-bf's found me in facebook, lol! I am speaking terms with all my exes I think. the last one we even emailed each other until the emails flew out the window. I'm the type of person who don't hold grudges and can easily let go (so yung may mga grudges sa akin sila may problema lol). Walang personalan ika nga.

In fact I met with one of the ex-bf's together with Dutchman the other week when we were in the Philippines. It was a really nice meeting... sumali pa parents ko afterwards because they were picking us up for dinner and of course my parents know my ex. No awkward feeling, none from my ex and from the Dutchman. We were all grown up people who wanted to meet long lost friends.

-DP