Make it a habit

"La vie est belle mais ça dépend de qui". (Life is beautiful but it depends on whom.) This is the exact words of Jacques yesterday when I was watching 66 minutes. Jacques is 50 years old, one of the many homeless in the “Bois de Vincennes, Paris” . He lives in the midst at the park with a tent to live with. A comforter maybe 5 times thicker to protect from the cold winter but not enough to escape from freezing weather of Paris. Since he became a homeless he has this grave bronchitis and has become worse because of the situation he is into. Like every homeless people who lives in parks, riversides with their tents and huts, or live in side street with their card-board Jacques chose to put up his little home in the woods. He prefers to set up a tent in the woods rather than living in the sidewalks of Paris as it is difficult probably because of constant police control.

As temperature falls to -6°C the only thing he does together with other friend is to put a fireplace. Sometimes, no food to eat. Talk and laugh all together to forget that life is unjust. He said that they need to sleep earlier around 8 in the evening because the fire is not sufficient until the night. I can't help it and got teary eyed when he said that his future is behind him and that there isn’t hope anymore. And he let them pass. Sometimes, he thinks to put an end to his life to avoid this miserable situation. That is the only solution so as not to suffer anymore. But then again, when he’s clear-headed enough, he still thinks that maybe tomorrow will be another day. Or everything will pass one day. Briefly he seems to bend forward to that reflection.

In fact, his interview aired on the television last winter and a lot of people got so touched and so the situation gets better for Jacques. Thanks to that reportage he now receives help from a lot of people like receiving goods almost everyday. Accompanied with some children’s drawings and letters that he keeps and see life on a different phase.

So let’s make gratitude a habit even for simple things. Say your Thanks out loud. Stop complaining there are worse things out there. Be Grateful for the challenging and difficult times, too because that what make us stronger.

Image from Europe1

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your so right Haze, Everyday we have food to eat and a warm place to sleep at night is a blessing. San Francisco is not as cold as Paris but the many homeless men and women there are sure feeling the harsh weather too.
Francesca said…
france has homes for people of the street .but the homeless prefer to be out of it.
what can we do if they choose to be in the cold?
Wil said…
I always count my blessings. Whenever I think that my life is hard, I have to remind myself that there's people in worse situations than me and I have no reason to complain.
Sidney said…
The world is a touch place for a lot of people.
Thank you for reminding us that a lot of people are living in the streets.
Indeed we should be grateful for what we have...
Angelo said…
You're so right Haze. I'll remember you and Jacques whenever I think of how much I despise my existence.

Happy New Year to you Haze, I don't think I've greeted you yet. I had to take a blog break for a while. I hope all is well with you and the family :)
yusop said…
Jacques case is such an eye-opening situation, especially that even in a rich country like France, homeless people remains a social concern.

I wonder if it's a social problem that could be solved entirely when I feel that it's not merely economic that leads people to live in tents by their lonesome, but more on societal suasions and conditions, of lack of government care and concern, problematic culture or changed norms. We can never be sure really.
Raquel said…
Aw, how touching. I wonder if someone offer him a home or shelter for people like Jacques.
pining said…
I agree, we should be thankful that we have roof over our heads, because at times like these, I'm sure Jacques won't be the last one. I was watching a program the other night about how some families, with the recent cedit crunch and redundancies, have lost their homes; really scary.
I know it's late but I hope you had a good new year as well :-)
love your header!
I'm here now btw :-)
Analyse said…
i saw the reportage too and that's a constant reminder for us to be grateful of what we have. hey haze, sorry i wasnt able to answer you when you sent me a message sa chat, i didnt saw it at once, i left for a meeting.. chat tayo next time.. medyo tamad lola mo ngayon e..
raqgold said…
hi haze, hope you're okay. heard about the news.

and yes, we should be thankful for small graces. but i also have to say this, sometimes it is really people who makes something for themselves. i

take care!
Keith said…
Haze, even here in Redding, the number of days that reach such col are few. I saw a sign reporting -1 degree recently.

I know that even here, we have people that die of cold, because they had no shelter. I know what my city offers to the poor. People who do not cause trouble can always find food and temporary shelter here. I know too many plkaces where that is not true.
haze said…
And this is why I always see the positive side of life JOANNE! Count my blessings and be happy for what I have.

You are right there FRANCESCA are associations for the homeless. The message I want to convey is "Appreciate life's difficult times".

I do think like you WIL ! I am glad we share the same sentiments.

The world is sometimes cruel SIDNEY we are living in a high-stress world. Therefore, we should learn to thrive and be happy for what we have, not merely survive.

Although Jacques refuses to believe there is hope ANGELO he stands still and starts to see that there are people who wants to reach out. Happy New year to you, I know you need a break, take care!

It's a lot more difficult in European countries being a homeless because of cold weather.
I agree MAJOR TOM it's not just economic problem but the society needs improvement.

I think there was an offer RAQUEL & will surely be happy to accept it!

This is really a continuous indication PINING to be grateful for everything because we will never know on what the future will hold.

Indeed an everyday ANALYSE especially now that we are in the brink of recession. No worries, I know you pretty busy and your welcome ;) !

I am okay RAQGOLD, thank you! People make their own luck and chances, I agree. And maybe Jacques words will help us realize just how lucky that we are living comfortably. He's been a subject of reminder.

Unfortunately, homeless are everywhere KEITH. Maybe there are few of them which is not true. Sad to say, some or more are manage by Mafia.
We are still lucky despite of the global recession. There are still a lot of people out there who are more unfortunate than we are...