Tag : The Name Game

After those not so good incidents (the Cetelem, the parking, the hacker and the problem of internet connection for 1 week) let’s go to the lighter side of life. That’s how I see my further existence even though I am confronted with exasperating situation I should be able to forget, laugh and go on as if nothing happened. Well, sometimes it is undeniably difficult to overlook what had happened but I am trying my best …my utmost best to be Zen. And because there is a beginning and an ending for all, I can say I am done with it. I am sure that there’s worse out there…I hope not ! Nevertheless, I will surely not let it pass without creating any trouble by having the capacity to solve the issue diplomatically and without stressing toooooo much (but I did, I swear).

Now , I’ll be doing a tag and pardon me for the late response Mahalia, just got busy and with all these unavoidable circumstances on the side, things aren’t just like the way I wanted them to be. It’s all about names and where did I get my kids’ name. In fact, it was my Honey who wanted to have a Filipino name for our children. When we learned that it will be a boy I hastily got a pen and a paper to list them down. Okay, I must admit it was not easy. I have checked sites to look for possible names unfortunately, there was no names that is pleasant to our ears ! Accordingly, we finally decided to name our first child Sébastien Dominique Angelo.

Sébastien - because Honey’s uncle from Corsica who was extra nice when he was young and that village people adored him because of his extraordinary kindness.

Dominique- it was her mother’s name (deceased when he was 16 yrs. Old)

Angelo- because I have always adore this name and I love collecting angels.

As for my second pregnancy, from the time we knew that I will have a baby girl I have checked my English-Tagalog Dictionary to look for Filipino names for a baby girl. Good thing, it was an easy choice ! The funny thing was Honey is in love with the name Liwayway or Liway and Luningning. I told him that names are okay but we could still find names beautiful than those (it doesn’t mean those names aren’t beautiful, they are). I just want to be more original. And so, in the end I found from my Tagalog-English dictionary Mayumi (modest or demure) that’s what the dictionary says. And Patricia for her second name after my Inay’s name (my Mom’s Mother). Well, we wanted to have both Filipino names but for Sébastien it was hard to find one. At least one French name and Filipino name anyhow that’s how typical mix cultures are.

Even though, a lot of new parents of mix cultures or France is their adopted country worry about not having a French name (family living in France) because it is a major obstacle particularly when looking for a job in France. There are a lot of cases that applicants who do not have French names doesn’t have equal opportunities compared to those who have French names. It is sad but it is true. Take this an example, a lot of Arabs and African origin change their names to have an equal opportunity. They no longer brag as regards to their ancestry in public to spare themselves from law and employers' discrimination. Dozens have opted for the new link of existence to escape from the cruel reality. With their new name, it gave them a job and put them on an equal balance with colleagues, who knew nothing about their past.

However, I personally don’t put too much weight on this. As long as we send our children to good schools, educate and give out the best in them. I believe not having a French name would not definitely a hindrance in the future. Education is their lifeline and the future will not depend on their names ! I just find it ridiculous if they judge applicants because one doesn’t have a French name therefore no job will be available! Or to some parents who want to name their kids according to their wish but hesitant of what the future entails (just because they don't have a French name). They are still little to put too much pressure on their names. And, changing names is not a solution to the problem…in France, égalite (equality) should be extended to everyone. The French democracy has 3 key philosophy: liberté (liberty), égalite (equality), and fraternité (fraternity). If society are firmly described by their rapport to the State, the logic makes sense.

Comments

Wil said…
I didn't know that that was the meaning of "mayumi". I think it's great you gave your daughter a Filipino name.

I wonder what were the Filipino names for your son that weren't pleasant to your ears. :)
Mommy in School said…
ok lang. life gets busy and we all need to prioritize things. kaya ok lang talaga. Your kids's names are so sweet and it's a good thing that your honey sees the importance of our Filipino heritage. This is very considerate and an admirable trait.

Mahalia
http://chocolateword.net
yusop said…
That's a sad thing, discrimaination just because one has a foreign-sounding name but it does happen. Sometimes, a name could be too weighty as a burden. But hey, just like you, i stand by that precept that no matter what, i stand by the name I or we all choose. let destiny decide... :-)
mitsuru said…
A lot of Pinoys usually anglicized their names when they cme to the US not because of the reasons you cited but just to sound cool--Jose Sastre tp James Taylor, Casimiro Bukaykay to Cashmere Bouquet, etc. He-he.
Leah said…
I am sure your daughter would grow up and be proud of the history of her name. I love her name, it is indeed very demure. And Sebastien is a nice French name too. You can have a Pinoy equivalent of Sebastian, only with Pinoy accent, eh di parang Pinoy din.
Angelo said…
Salut Haze! I didn't know you like the name Angelo hehe... I didn't know your son and I shared that in common... (Angelo is also not my first name). Leah's right, just remove the accent egout, and his first name is Filipino na rin. That's interesting how your name in France could mean the difference b/w getting a job or not. It kinda makes a bit of sense I guess, but then again ne juge pas the livre by its cover right hehe...
haze said…
Thanks WIL, I like it too! Well, I have a friend who's name is Hiwaga (nickname Wowie) and his brother's name is Malakas and sister's name is Marikit :D! I didn't want my Sébastien to be called Matikas :D lol !

BLOGGITYBLOGS thanks for understanding but I did like doing this tag. My husband is sometimes more Filipino than I am ;) (buti na lang) !

I wanted my children to be named according to our choice & we like them to be proud of their origins MAJOR TOM. Yes, sometimes name could be a burden for some but it can be avoided while growing up kasi there are cool nicknames na ;) and just by being nice with no pretension.

HAHAHA you are indeed right MITSURU! Most of the names in the Philippines are modern because it's beautiful (too westernized). For French people, they are very particular because they want their names to have a meaning. Or sort of history & origin. French would typically name their children from the calendar or names of their ancestors and families.

And I can tell her LEAH that not a lot of Filipinas are named after Mayumi! Oh I was thinking of Sebastian actually but it's actually more of Spanish origin so I changed my mind. Anyway, we're balance one French name and one Filipino name, just perfect!

Coucou ANGELO! I am always in love with that name. So I told myself if one day I will have a kid I will really link that name. Normally, the nickname of Sébastien for Frenchies is SEB but we fondly call him Basti, or Baste for some. Talagang Pinoy pa rin ang dating.
Anonymous said…
your kids name are lovely actually, they've got the best of both worlds :-)
my husband often asked me why I haven't a Filipino name; blame my mother, I said to him he he. my two boys however have old fashioned, strong name; they're happy, we're happy, that's all that matters.
Francesca said…
These days, if a resumé reach the table of the boss, the name Mohammed or Hussien do not reach even the door for interview.

I saw it in Monaco, Montecarlo.

If they have other applicants like Sebastien, or Antoine as an applicant, they consider appointments.

Any work is a big responsibility to trust just to anybody.The Boss even refers to: what is your origin? Philippines? Ah Asiatic. Okey, you are hired.
What is your origin? Ah, muslim?
Sorry, no vacancy...

Whats in a name? (best education, good family background, origin from a peaceable country)But you live in muslim community in Paris? Ah... We will call you, dont call us. Meaning: rejected application...

yeah,these days,it is sad, but it is like that...
Analyse said…
by the time our kids search for a job, france (i hope) would have changed. they would finally realize that globalization is here and europe has long effaced their borders.

we had received remarks and comments from families, friends and colleagues about the way we named our daughters.. but as i said to frenchguy, that's the fruit of being in a mix couple.. they need to understand that.. period. taray ba hehe..
haze said…
Thanks PINING! I guess whatever name we have, it'll always stay beautiful :D ! Is this your real name Pining , well that is very local and I love it!


Unfortunately it's true FRANCESCA! Pero sana people should give chance to others. And these poeple can prove they are worthy also.

I am also hoping for that ANALYSE! Thus everyone won't undergo difficulties as we are born with equal rights.