My other ME

I don’t know if you have some difficulties in pronouncing my name HAZEL (Hey-zhul). On the other hand, when I arrived in France my name became AZEL (ah-zel) some would call me ASSEL (but I am not one & I assure you I don’t create hassle) and because French doesn’t pronounce the letter H! I didn’t know that French and Kapangpangan’s have in common. In Pampangga they don’t pronounce the letter H until I became friends with my friend C who is an origin of Pampangga (we’re both working in the Hotel Industry). One night, we were watching a film at home and in that particular scene there was a snake and she was screaming really hard while watching and pointing her finger on the television to warn the actors as if she could be heared by them “ Naku ingat ka sa a-as!!” (Oh be careful with the???). At that time I didn’t get it and inquisitively asked her what was about a-as after all? She smilingly told me that in Pampangga they don’t pronounce the H so she was referring about Ahas (snake) ! Thus, the next time she asked me to pass the ANGER she is talking about HANGER (a hook or rod used for hanging clothes)! I jokingly told you her you should be calling me AZEL then! She grinned at me explaining that for names of person and places will be particularly different. They could pronounce the H without technical hitches. Ouf, I was released then my name will be pronounced properly. This is because the Kapangpangan’s writing method had only 14 characters compared to the 26 calligraphy of the modern alphabets. They did not have the letters “f,” “v” and “h” and had only one character for “d” and “r,” one symbol for “e” and “i,” and one symbol for “o” and “u.” And that is also why they have trouble pronouncing “V” and “F”. Next time do not be surprised if a Kapangpangan says Ello and Good-Vye!

Going back to France I am okay when they call me AZEL or ASSEL. I understand why they drop the H letter because it’s the rule. I asked them why and got a simple explanation that it is a silent H so it would be inflexible for them to articulate with aspiration. I will bring you further on how they pronounce my name or call me as they want them to call me. A comical story I encountered on my first visit to Corsica and at that time I am no speaking French so everything was translated in English by Honey. He introduced me to the village people and to his distant cousins. And so I met his cousin P which is now 81 years old (she doesn’t look her age). A typical Corsican woman and warm by nature. She speaks French as well as the native language Corsu. Honey told me that she speaks robust Corsican accent which sometimes difficult to understand. Then we have kissed cheeks to cheeks as a sign of Hello in France.

Scenario:

Honey : Voila P, c’est mon épouse, Hazel. (Voila P, it"s my wife Hazel.)

Me : Ravie de vous connaître P, enfin ! (I am glad to meet you P, finally!)


P : Comment tu t’appelles déjà ?
(she approached me closely so she could hear me right) (What is your name again?)

I had probably repeated thrice articulating my name. Unfortunately, my name is not frequent in France therefore it’s tough to remember and pronounce it. She looked at me with confusion. And P was trying really hard remembering my name but apparently my name is tough for her to remember.

P : Oh la la, c’est trop complique pour moi. Je ne peux pas me souvenir de ton prénom, désolé ! Alors, je t’appellerai ISABELLE ! Comme ça c’est facile. (Oh la la, it's to complicated for me. I would not be able to remember your name, sorry! So, I will call you Isabelle! Now that's easy.)

I was surprised too perkily that I couldn’t express since I didn’t understand a single word she said……only ISABELLE. I was like why is she talking about Isabelle? I have understood after Honey translated everything she said. I smilingly told her, it’s not a big deal Isabelle is fine! And we laugh altogether.

Whenever we go and visit her she calls me Isabelle. At times I have the feeling that I am another person behind this beautiful name!

Comments

Makis said…
Hahahaha! This is funny Haze! I hope you always answer to Isabelle though when she's around :)
kala said…
From now on, I'll call you Isabelle. HAHAHAHA!
Chibog in Chief said…
hehehe Hilda is easier to pronounce than Hazel..buti na lang :-)
Analyse said…
buti na lang, there's no pronounciation problem with my name, lol.. but yes, they're like pampangeños nga.. i had a pampangeño classmate and we always tease each other.. when he tells me ma-al na ma-al kita, prend.. i answer him hay lab yu too, lol.
Anonymous said…
salut Ayze or should I say Isabelle! Merci pour ton birthday greeting, hope you are doing great. Ingat lagi.
Yen Prieto said…
hahah katawa naman si P, bininyagan ka pa ng bagong pangalan, isabelle. but it;s a pretty name ;-)
Anonymous said…
haha nice post.

Its so hard to communicate with French people of all the nationalities in the world haha

But the lighter side of it... better calling you Azel or Assel or Isabelle than calling you Az.. just a corny humor.

Have a nice Sunday there in France

Mai Dieu benisse vous et votre famille
Francesca said…
Your blog must be now Isabelle in Marseille...
Rhyme ah!

musta, tagal ng visit ko, nabuang kasi ako sa holidays ko in manila.
Pero oks na me...Lolo, calm na rin...
Anonymous said…
ello Isabelle, nice name, di ba? it's really interesting to note that in each place, there's something distinct. in bangladedh they call me either Dean Racoma or Dr Racoma, i do not correct them anymore, it's nice to be promoted every now and then.
raqgold said…
speaking of names -- when i was in thailand they cant pronounce my name right so i became RAKI - when i arrived in germany hindi rin nila alam kung papano sabihin so i go around now with people calling me RAHEL, RAKEL, RACHEL -- i wonder what would happen to my name in french, hehe
Anonymous said…
I often get distracted when my name get mispronouned by some other that I would really stop and insist that my name is like this and sounds like that. Maybe that's just a mistake, but some individuals can be just too careless and at times could be maliciously mischievous. I can't stand them, no.
Toe said…
Hahaha... this is such a funny post and that a-as story is ilarious Aze! ;) So what does your Honey call you? Oney? :)
Anonymous said…
Isabelle is a beautiful name. Isip ko pag may anak the babae ako, this is one of the names I'll consider.

Pero maganda rin ang Hazel. Too bad the French can't pronounce the H. It's their loss:)
Anonymous said…
good post
haze said…
MAKIS: nope she's the only who call me and I am getting used to it..it's like automatic !

KALA: oh you can, pretty name naman sya :D !

HILDA: your will be ILDA hahaha !

ANALYSE: o di ba they French and Filipinos have in common talaga kaya pala feel at home tayo !

ANGELO: no problem! Take care of you too!

YEN: oo maganda naman buti na lang yon ang napili nya!

BPJ: I agree with you LOL!

FRANCESCA: oo nga rhyme but I still love my real name :D !

SEXY MOM: before I used to correct them since my name is uncommon payag na ako kahit walang H !

RAQGOLD hahaha kung anu-ano na rin pala tawag nila sayo, at least hindi pala ako nag iisa !


MAJOR TOM oh I think it's because there are names that are really difficult to pronounce. I just let them call me as they wish hahaha, it's sometimes tiring to correct people!

TOE: indeed ILARIOUS! Oh my Honey calls me bébé !

JOANNE: I also love Isabelle , good thing P chose that name if not I will not let her call me with a strange name LOL !

BITPAZAR thanks and welcome here!
Anonymous said…
wow haze, you have a "french" name na pala ;-) hahahah!
haze said…
CARYN I think Isabelle is more of a Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Provençal) name with different pronunciation ;) !
Anonymous said…
Hello Assel although i do love the name Hazel.

This is a funny story. Cant blame an 81 yr old for making up names. Isabelle sounds good though.
haze said…
Thanks LEAH! Now I am used with my second name, buti na lang maganda sya :D !
Anonymous said…
Nakakatawa naman 'to.

Ako nga ang tawag nila sakin dito Shona. Yung Chona naging Shona na.

Yung friend ko na vietnamese, ang pangalan Ngan. Eh di ba "ngan" ang pag-pronounce nun. Dito sa France naging "Nan". Sabi nung klasmeyt ko na vietnamese, ako lang daw ang nakaka-pronounce ng pangalan nya ng maayos dito.
haze said…
Hi Shona este Chona pala, welcome to my site Buti na lang talaga flexible dila natin We can really adapt to easily to everything
Thanks for your visit :D !