Transition and self-care

As a mother of two active toddlers I have constantly been observant of the things around them. This is a typical mother’s instinct I would say. My kids are gradually budding and I notice they are apt in coping and becoming more autonomous. One of the essential stages of growth is to learn how to take care of themselves and be aware of their environment. Our role is to prepare them to embark upon a journey of evolution that is full of challenges.

As my kids increase their senses so is their need. They will discover so as their accomplishment of self care:

Using the toilet: Both of them started potty training at the age of 1 ½ years old. It was not an easy job for me but it was really a demanding stage between child and mother relation as we face the challenge. It could be very tiring and depressing. Afraid of failing, I became impatient. Months passed by they are set off to be completely potty trained free at the age of 2 years old there my qualms and stress are gone. From that age they started going to the toilet on their own like normal adults do. It could happen that they pee on their bed because of fatigue and could fall asleep without taking a pee which is normal. Common accidents and failures happen. Some kids can catch quickly some takes time. I have learned that toilet training requires consistency, lots of patience, to praise them, and have a great positive attitude!


Use of rubbish bin: At home we segregate papers, cartons, boxes from bottles. At an early age we encourage our children to engage themselves in this kind of practice. Kids know where to throw their waste according to bin. Later on they will benefit from the hard work they have accomplished. Be noticed that even at a young age they also have their share and can make a difference. I have learned that teaching our kids the right approach and early involvement on how to take care of environment can hence have lifelong benefits.


Using spoon and fork: At the moment, they are using baby stuffs I bought from Ikea like plastic spoon and fork, cups and glasses to experiment with which are easy and practical for their size. They will actually be able to exercise it well, play with it without me worrying about the danger. To spend me from many risks of falling, banging and hurting each other I opted for baby’s stuffs because kids when eating are often notoriously chaotic. Safety comes first. This helps my kids’ little fingers to reach out without falling them into pieces (for plates, bowls, cups and glasses)! As they learn to feed themselves they are also learning…gravity! They know how to arrange and where to put them every after meal. Using baby’s stuffs excludes when we are out of town or when we are invited so they are also used to the real stuffs with supervision. Using with cutlery, real spoon and fork is a different pace forward. In long term they can get the hang of it. Now, I guess, it’s time for them to get familiarised with the real one at home. I have learned that everything has its own perfect time and place to learn and incorporate them.


Getting dress and taking it off: It took time for them to learn how to get dress on their own but taking off is uncomplicated. The easiest way for them to put their jacket is through “Papillion” (Butterfly). Playing or singing a song while getting them dressed to get their attention is a lot easier rather than imposing. At times during the weekends they will be the one to remind me to get changed! Or I let them choose what they want to wear and not pushing them to wear what I want. I have learned that it is imperative for them to know what they want and the things they don’t want because they are also trying to build their own personality.


Washing hands: Before we were like chasing cats and dogs. Now it’s automatic. Kids sometimes are lazy to wash their hands before having their meal or simply taking snacks which I understand (be there done that). The best explanation I could find to let them aware is that to avoid gastro which they have suffered a lot from it. Or much less they cannot have their favourite snacks without washing their hands therefore they will quickly do it. Whenever we are out I just bring with me baby wipes to clean them. Those are handy and convenient for outdoor activities! I have learned that hygiene is great but not being imprisoned by it or turning myself to a “maniac of cleanliness” anyhow kids have great immunity against viruses!


Brushing their teeth: I still brush their teeth but I let them participate for them to find out how it’s being done. It’s quite fun to see my kids having the initiative to brush their teeth in the morning and before going to bed. Even they still have their baby teeth I want them to learn the importance of taking care of their teeth and hygiene by brushing regularly. I have learned that if we let them do their share they will always be interested into something and be more innovative.


Putting on and taking off shoes: It’s the same for getting dress and taking them off. They are both very independent in doing so. They even want to tie their shoes alone however at the moment explaining on how to tie is quite complicated. I have learned that kids need to exercise the “I can do attitude” and dare themselves to accomplish some age-appropriate activities and discover things by themselves.




Despite the fact that it’s always simpler, faster, and even more deftly achieved when we do stuffs for our kids, it’s not always an excellent solution. In any case, we will not always be present to help them or be available at anytime to be at their service. I have learned that sometimes letting the children to do things of their own compel them to pursue a greater responsibility. The need to amass experience alone is vital as they go through several stages of maturity.

P.S. A video of Papillon (Butterfly) Attitude


Comments

Anonymous said…
The last paragraph says it all, Haze, and I absolutely agree with you. Kids need some measure of independence and it's important for them to feel a sense of pride with their own accomplishments.
Anonymous said…
These are all essential things to teach and learn.

As for the shoes, we opted for velcro rather than shoe laces until she was able to master the tying of the bow.

These are all fun stuff. Your kids learnt potty training early. Good for you. Less diapers in the land fill and more money in your pocket.
My daughter was potty trained by 2 as well. however, at night time we had to resort to diapers. It took a long time and lots of trying and washing loads of laundry. Eventually, she held it or woke up at night to do it. In their own time, as always.
Anonymous said…
This is a very comprehensive narration of toddler training, it surely become helpful tips for new parents.

My kids are just past their toddler years, except my youngest who is still about 4 years old, and I could relate well with this post.
Anonymous said…
These are great tips Haze. I like the papillon thingy. The name reminds me of this movie adapted from the novel of the same name. :)
Definitely Maybe!
Not Just Another Blog...
Anonymous said…
salut Haze! They grow up so fast eh? My Nephew Aiden has been getting the hang of toilet training. It's amazing how they can learn things so readily.
Francesca said…
ah oui, kids are bundle of joy to mom and dad, but true, they will learn in time.
Buti andyan si mommy to teach them, pano na lang if nasa work ka haze? Who will teach them?
haze said…
JOANNE : It is really important for children to accomplish something extra ordinary even at a young age....they gain confidence in them !

LEAH : I also opted for non-laces shoes it's practical for growing kids. When I potty trained Mayumi my Mom was here and she had helped me a lot especially controlling my temper :D ! Exactly, in their own time !

MAJOR TOM : it's nice of you to visit my site, thank you ! I am glad and hope to have helped new parents with my own experience. We may not have the same style however this will serve as guiding tips :D! Anyway, we always learn from each other's view and practice.

I'll be glad to hear from a father's side experience because women and men's views aren't the same ;)or doesn't share much of the same response to a certain things !
haze said…
BABETTE : Thanks ! This Papillon thing is really fun and easy to learn for growing toddlers !

Coucou ANGELO! This makes me realized I'm old, I already have white hair :( ! Goodluck to your nephew Aiden and I am sure he will really learn very fast especially with parents never ending patience!

FRANCESCA naku kaya nga I prefer to stay at home for the meantime. My kid's education and guidance are our priorities! Job can wait ;)!
Chibog in Chief said…
you will need to teach me how to teach my daughter...
raqgold said…
we need to give them time and support, at sempre, we need loads of patience :D MC and IC's automatically washes their hands whenever they come from playing outside, before and after eating, after using the toilet, when they touched money, etc - naging super meticuloso naman itong dalawa ko that's why their hands are too dry, hayy minsan over naman. and oh, might start talking to them about saving money, too :D
haze said…
HILDA even without me teaching you I am sure your Mayumi will spontaneously learn these things. With you patiently helping her :D everything will be achieved!

RAGGOLD hahaha oftenly that's the case with kids becoming over attentive! But I think, it's okay as they grow up they will learn to balance things din! And yes, saving money is another step forward and essential as they will learn the value of saving and spending money wisely.
Anonymous said…
Great tips Haze :-)
at the moment, I'm potty training my toddler, he is a bit slow, but we're getting there, yes, kids' development varies :-)
I like the papillon idea...brilliant!
haze said…
PINING thanks! I often hear that boys take time in everything (walking, speaking etc.)! I am sure in time your handsome kid will say good bye to diapers :D! They learned Papillon at school ;)!

GERI thanks and I hope it will help you! For us parents especially mothers we have the tendency to spoon feed our kids but then it's not the best way. It will slow down a kid's growth. Wow, I didn't know that until 6 yrs. old so thanks for additional info :D !