New Lingo,nakakabobo! New gadget how's the budget?

Philippines is known to be the capital of cellular phones! We have a large quantity of person owning cellular phones even the poor. I can affirm and I am sure some blogger friends who already went vacationing back home will have the same opinion. I remember when I went back to the Philippines after 2 years of living in France I saw a lot of vendors possessing their own gadgets. I mean two years are very short when you spot the inflation rate speeding up. This doesn’t imply that they should not have their own however the question is how are they able to own cellular phone with a lousy salary? Furthermore, if an individual is a family person how are they able to pay all the expenses of daily basis consumption? That was really a surprise and the question is left unanswered.



Now listen, I will speak about lingo since I talk about cellular phones.
If gays have lingo, texters do have their own too. Don't you find these messages confusing? Personally, I am not very "talented" in sending short messages like these. Probably I am out of style or it's just the stupid me! I don't know if people seem to care about the correct way of writing Tagalog or English and vice versa! Some says it’s to save time and space. Okay now let’s have a vocabulary challenge or is it simply the word laziness ?

  • c u l8tr - See you later
  • i xpect u 2 b der- I expect you to be there !
  • Dey r rquEstng u 2 cum - They are requesting you to come.
  • Ken u dscRyb her - Can you describe her.
  • u 2 - You too
  • der r pipol hir- there are people here
  • (")(")Bles u!ThNx, 2ü&GBY2ü!- Bless You, thanks to you and goodbye to you
  • güdAM - Good morning
  • k lng ko - Okay lang ako (I am okey)
  • Musta n xa? - Kumusta na siya? (How is he/she ?)
  • r u der? - Are you there?
  • y r u hir ? - Why are you here ?
  • k lng b xa? - Okay lang ba siya ? ( Is he/she okey?)

In the world wide web this is how it works ! And I rarely use them.
  • BBL- Be Back Later
  • BRB - Be Right Back
  • IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
  • JK - Just Kidding
  • LOL - Laughing Out Loud
  • LYLAS - Love You Like a Sister
  • NP - No Problem
  • OMG - Oh My God
  • OTP - On the Phone
  • ROFL - Rolling on Floor Laughing
  • TTFN - Ta-Ta for Now
  • TTYL - Talk to You Later
  • YW - You're Welcome
  • PIL - Parents in law
  • SIL - Sister in law
  • BIL - brother in law
  • WYSIWYG - What you see is what you get
I was just curious if there really exists a lingo in the world wide web. The answer is YES check them out the AIM Dictionary and Net Lingo !

It's not only in the Philippines! This lingo takes place around the world. Sure I would be happy to translate the following words and phrases. Some are already translated because they also mix French and English (Franglish) or they call it "ABC de la langue française" (The ABC of French Language)

  • mdr - Mort de rire (it's like laughing out loud)
  • alp - A la prochaine (see you next time)
  • asv - Age, sexe, ville (age, sex, city)
  • Ama - A mon avis (in my opinion)
  • @+ - A plus (see you)
  • Re - Je suis de retour (i am back)
  • Cdlt - Cordialement (cordially)
  • Asap - As soon as possible (le plus tôt possible)
  • BRB - Be right back (je reviens tout de suite)
  • Gmta - Great minds think alike (les grands esprits se rencontrent)
  • GSER - Les grands esprits se rencontrent
  • kicker - Expulser du serveur (to kick)
  • il flood - il ressasse le même message (to flood)
  • GHT - J'ai acheté ( I bought)
  • R 29 - Rien de neuf (nothing new)
  • be4 - before (avant)
  • Bcoz - because
  • CU - See you
  • A 2M - 1 A demain (see you tomorrow)
  • ki, ke, koi,... - qui, que, quoi,...(who,that,why)
  • bjr - bonjour (good day or hello)
  • kestufé? - Qu'est-ce que tu fais ? (what are you doing?)
  • tu m'strS - Tu me stresses (You are stressing me)
  • Tabitou - T'habites où ? (Where do you live?)
  • EntouK - En tout cas (in any case)
  • TU M M - Tu m'aimes? (Do you love me?)
  • Tdr - Tordu de rire (Hilarious)
  • ID - Idée (idea)
  • Fyi - For your information (pour ton information)
  • DpaC - Dépasser (surpassed)
  • A+ à plus, à bientôt (see you soon)
  • Av - avant (before)
  • Ap - après (after)
  • $ - argent (money)
  • Bal - boîte aux lettres (mailbox)
  • Bcp - beaucoup (very, many)
  • Biz - bises (kiss)
  • Blem - problème (problem)
  • Cad - c’est à dire (meaning)
  • K7 - cassette
  • Kdo - cadeau (gift)
  • 6T - cité (city)
  • D6D- décider (decided)
  • Dak - d’accord (accord, okay)
  • Ht - acheter (buy)
  • Ic - je vois (I see)
  • Je t’m - je t’aime (I love you)
  • L - elle (she,her)
  • Msg - message
  • Nv - nouveau (new)
  • Pcq - parce que (because)
  • Pq ? - pourquoi ? (why?)
  • Rdv - rendez-vous (appointment)
  • Rstp - réponds s’il te plait (response please)
  • Stp/Svp - s’il te plait/s'il vous plait (please)
  • 2day - aujourd’hui (today)
  • Tb - très bien (very well)
  • Ttf - tout à fait (exactly)
  • Tjs - toujours (always)
What do you think do I need to change my blog titile to KwaD9 ?- Quoi de neuf? GTG hdng of 2 nrth 4 1 wk :D ! (Got to go heading off to north for one week)

Comments

Anonymous said…
yay, everybody's using those lingos now. even in the office, for non official emails, i use, cad, cdlt, qqn, qqch, rdv, svp/stp, tjs, lol, a+, fyi, asap. atbp.. i use quite a lot when im chatting too.. i dont text so im not really familiar, but yes, in the phils, i oblige my sis to write correctly, pano ba naman, pati sa email, shortcut na lahat, di ko na maintindihan hehe..

ill be leaving this pm too, we'll be taking louna for a week vacation at my PIL's place, but ill be back on monday nyt..

have a greay vacay!

gtg. bises.
ana ;)
haze said…
ANAI just posted this morning and there you are, quite fast :D ! Hay naku, it took me time before I understand those messages. I feel so old, I am really out fashion :(!

Bringing Louna to PIL ! Why? Both traveling again for work ? Good luck Ana and take you on your way !

J t'mbrse !
Anonymous said…
Hi Haze,

Great title, great post! LOL:)

I can understand using the shorthand with texting but I find it's even more time consuming trying to think of it than if I were to actually s-p-e-l-l the whole word. And it takes me a while to translate too. Maybe we're the same, too old for the new lingo.

Oh and back to texting, I am so slow when I text. It takes me minutes what my cousins in the PI can do in a few seconds (and they do it without looking at the buttons).
Anonymous said…
Hello Haze, this reminded me of when I went back to Manila last July for my high school reunion. Myself and another batchmate from Australia were always teased that we "text like a lola". We are so slow in sending text messages because we're not used to it. LOL Here in the US it's faster and cheaper to call. :) Have a nice vacation!

Definitely Maybe!
Not Just Another Blog...
haze said…
JOANNE thanks ! I don't know before I left Philippines I can consider myself IN. I can tell you I was texting a lot, it's cheaper than calling but I never sent shorthand messages nalilito kasi ako! I asked my friends to text me with complete sentence if not I don't respond.

Now I rarely text but I do call if it's really important. Likewise, I am consider slow and manang :D !


BABETTE had the same reaction from friends ! They thought I have changed because I live abroad if they only knew I become more and more out of fashion, ganito ata pag nanay na :D ! Calls are expensive but text messages are cheaper. Thanks for the wishes !
Sidney said…
And to complete your post there is also something like a SMS etiquette!

1. Common courtesy still rules. Contrary to popular belief, composing an SMS while you're in a face-to-face conversation with someone is just about as rude as taking a voice call.
2. Remember that SMS is informal. SMS shouldn't be used for formal invitations or to dump your girlfriend or boyfriend. The casualness of SMS diminishes the strength and meaning of the message.
3. Don't get upset if you don't get a reply. Before you text someone and get frustrated at the lack of a response, be sure that they're familiar with how to use the service, and that their carrier will accept messages from yours.
4. Be aware of your tone. It is extremely difficult to discern tone in text messages, just as in e-mail. What seems to you to be a completely innocuous message may be grossly misinterpreted by the recipient, causing certain discomfort if not irreparable harm.
5. Don't SMS while you're driving. Talking on the phone is bad enough. You won't know what hit you - or what you hit - if you are pounding out a message on your keyboard.
6. Leave the slang to the kids. Don't expect your stodgy superiors at work to be hip to the lingo of the SMS streets. And don't expect to win points with your kids by trying to be cool, either.
7. Remember that SMS can be traced. Anonymous messages - if you must send them -are still best sent from Web sites.
8. Be conscientious of others' schedules. Don't assume that because you are awake, working, not busy, or sober that the person you're texting is as well. Many a pleasant slumber have been interrupted by recurring "beep-beep...beep-beeps" of messages.
9. If it's immediate, make a voice call. If you can't get through and your text message is ignored, there's probably a good reason. There are still some times when people don't even have a thumb free to respond.
10. Remember that your phone does have an off button. There are very, very few things in the world that absolutely cannot wait.
Toe said…
Hahaha... I like that Kwad9! Very witty Haze! :)

I'm good at texting but I never use text language. I use the dictionary mode in the cell phone instead. I find it much easier and less confusing.

I don't know what it is with the Filipinos' fascination with cellphones. And they get the top of the line models too.

I agree with Sydney's tips.
Anonymous said…
mind you, ppol are cell phone addicts nowadays, it's not only in the Philippines. I'm not very good in txting at all, sometimes I even write the whole words and punctuations he he. Meron din palang Franglish lol!
BTW,IMHO, your title at the moment is gr8 ;-)
Anonymous said…
I used to have a cellphone but I realized I don't really need it and I was paying a lot of money for monthly charged. I'm ok without it. As for the phil. texting. Yah! my sisters used that a lot and some of it I don't understand.
Anyway have fun on your vacation!!!
Anonymous said…
Basta ako buo magtext, kasi ako man nalilito. :p
Francesca said…
i need to enrol haze, i learn from this post how it is in french.
Mgamit nga to ke baklang butler, hehehehe!
Makis said…
Hay naku, I always needed someone to translate me the texts I receive when I was abck home. Grabe!
Yen Prieto said…
haha aliw naman tong post mo ate. when i was still in phils, guilty dn ako diyan. pero narealised ko na nakakabobo siya. when i move here, maayos na ko mag text, kasi takot ako noon na baka isipin ng tinetext ko na ang tanga ko naman sa spelling hahaha.
Anonymous said…
I never had the patience with these shortcut sms lingos (except for lol and wtf that I use in my blog), so back in Pinas when people sms me with these, I never respond kasi busy na busy na nga yung buhay ko and I have to decode pa their sms? If very important, tawagan ko na lang sila.

-DP
raqgold said…
nope, wala rin akong balak matuto ng lingo na yan :D tama ka, most of pinoys have cellphones in the hand kahit na asan at grabe, saan yang photo mo nung charging station, hahaha. nakaka insecure nga kasi mas moderno pa yung hawak nila kesa sa akin :D that means, mayaman talaga ang pinas.
Anonymous said…
i cn txt wid my i's close, a lot of my american friends are fascinated by what i can do with my cellphone since sila di gaanng magaling sa text. ha-ha.

sign o' the times ladies. cellphones empowers the pinoys, it's the great equalizer. he-he.

but i don't own one right now. lost my "chocolate" a year ago when i watched the crowded house concert.

now i'm planning to get one since i'll be going to san diego to watch lea salonga in a week's time. :)
Cherublu said…
Hi Haze!
Just thought I'd drop by and say hiya! It's been a while. I've kinda stopped blogging as you've noticed. Anyway, thanks for your messages. I'll come visit you often. Cherio.
Anonymous said…
Hi Haze, are you back yet? Hope you had a great time. :)

Definitely Maybe!
Not Just Another Blog...
Anonymous said…
and this has corrupted the written and oral english of our people--imagine writing application letters for jobs in "text" lingo. and i guess it will continue to be this way. i wonder if soon, the language will be integrated into our formal english vocabulary

just dropping by to say hello, i have been out of circulation for the last few months.
haze said…
I am with you SIDNEY! It's the same with blogging good Ethics is needed to avoid misunderstanding. We should be more tact and to possess great sensitivity in everything we do !

TOE KwaD9 LOL, thanks it's pretty cute ;) but I will prefer the old version. I am quite classic !

PINING I will never be good at this too & I could be a boring textmate. My response would take ages. Thanks, I will stay with my QUOI DE NEUF ?
haze said…
Thanks for visiting SWEETA! Come to think of it, people should think that cellphone is a necessity especially in cases of emergency and not treating it a a toy or "pang porma"! Some are just showing off because they have the latest model !

Ako rin MITCH naloloka sa ganyan text! Parang lumalabo mata ko !

Puede mong gamitin FRANCESCA lalo na pag inis ka kay Butler para it will take time for him to response di ba ! Bad girl LOL !
haze said…
Likewise MAKIS I didn't understand the whole message :( without translating, slow me !

That is also a reason YEN SPELLING !!! I think people should value what they have learned!

I don't respond if it's coded DP because I don't really understand ! Bahala silang mangulit ! I used those too LOL and BRB sa YM the rest does not exist in my vocabulary :D !
haze said…
I have an old cellphone RAGGOLD ! As in ni blue tooth wala :D! I just use if it's necessary otherwise I just keep it for future use!

Wow MITSURU I am sure you type fast! I prefer calling because the muscles of my fingers are very slow. Wow Lea, I want to really watch her perform on live, sigh ! Buti ka pa :D !

Yes I always visit you CHERUBLU! Anyway whatever your reasons are I know it's important! Take care and hope to meet you one day.

BABETTE just got back yesterday from the North ! Really had fun there ;), thanks!

Totally agree SEXY MOM! I wonder if they still value the form of communication! Anyway, I can't do anything about that but I will do my share...to text normally and correctly :D ! Thanks for the visit !
Leah said…
Hi Haze,
this is really quite an info. I dont know most of them. Kakatuwa talaga ang texting.

gtg, ttyl.
Anonymous said…
this is so cool! hahaha! we have a lot of text-lingo in tokyo too, but i never really use it. hahaha!

i've noticed in manila though that the english communication skills have been steadily decreasing because of texting. their grammar and spelling is often atrocious!
haze said…
Hi LEAH! I got this from internet while surfing but personally I don't use much of this lingo :D!

Welcome to my site CARYN! I think text-lingo is happening all over the world. I can say it's fun but however the bad side is the diminishing capacity to speak better language!