Belgium

Bruges continues….Let me tell you about this wonderful and captivating city of Belgium wherein Dutch, German and French are the official Languages. Since Honey’s grandmother lives just near the doorstep of Bruges (20 kms. away from the French boarder) we decided to stroll one afternoon. We were lucky to have great weather because normally the weather in the North is quiet warmer compared to South. BRUGES is a Flemish region but there are people who speak French. In Dutch Brugge, halt from Bryggja, which presumably used to indicate "landing stage" or "port". An explanation I get from Honey who works in the port and from a grandmother of 88 years old. This place is also called as the "Little Venice of the North" and the second most visited city of Belgium. City is full pack of tourists! Well it's not surprising it's S-P-R-I-N-G! Arriving at the centre we were looking for a parking space. We needed to turn around twice because there were no places available. At last we found a place to park the car. Now the problem is how to pay the parking space? We found the machine but we did not understand a thing. No English translation only in Flemish (why not in French since it's Belgium and French boarder) ??? Fortunately the signs are much easier to understand. I paid 4 euro but the machine did not accept the coins and kept coming back. It took us time to understand and analyse the situation. I even crossed the street and check the other machine thinking that probably machines aren't working here in Bruges. We found out that machines only accept the exact amount. Therefore, I needed to look smaller cents to complete the payment. Finally, after 10 minutes ! Yes you heard me right 10 minutes of finding out how the machine will accept the coins! I wonder why there's no English translation since it's a tourist spot ?

Now I am just going to have a short tour for you to see how beautiful the place is. If you plan to visit Europe this is a must see place! I took few photos because I was out of battery..darn !

Provinciaal Hof (Provincial Court)


One of the streets where parking is available


The Belfry (Befroi) - situated on the south side of the Market square (Markt).


My son who just woke up and me asking to pose just in front of these bicycles (means of Belgian transportation too).

Cycling is cool but sometimes it's quite dangerous because there is no part in Bruges that is car free. Or is it because I am not used to such quantity of people riding a bike on the streets. In my place they have just started last year and it's pretty working. It was impressive to see bicycles, cars and buses crisscrossing the city. Young and old, men and women it's just amazing and one thing for sure...less pollution ! I appreciate more to visit a city which is visibly clean and no garbage on the streets much less dog's sh*t. Typical Belgian houses are in bricks and they are quite big !

We should have leave earlier to at least make a bigger tour. Though it was a short stroll we are planning to visit the place again. We will also try to visit neighbouring cities like Brussels and Gent. There are still a lot more to see and to photograph like the famous
Canal (Spinolarei et Spiegelrei), museums, parks etc. We did not even try the restaurants and savour Belgian culinary like the mussels and fries as we left the house after lunch. Otherwise we were able to buy mouth watering chocolates like Leonidas and Cote d'or which are more less expensive compared to France. If Swiss has the best chocolate and Germany has the best beer, Belgium is also the country of best chocolates and beers !

Comments

raqgold said…
dyan minsan ako nababaliw e, dito sa europe, sa dami ng language; yung naiitindihan mong language, yun ang hindi mo makita, hahaha. like when you buy food, andun na halos lahat ng languages pero yung english na pang intl, wala, hayyy
Analyse said…
oh bruges! one of my fave cities in europe too. beers! a lot of them. hehe, we've been there pre-louna time so imagine the kind of hang out we targeted, and yes, inside bars, they speak all languages.. lol.
Sidney said…
Glad you enjoyed Brugge and Belgium.

Language is a very sensitive issue in Belgium. A bit difficult to understand for outsiders. Let me just tell you that countless governments fell on language issues. It is not only about language but more about money.
Toe said…
I love your photos Haze... parang straight out of a story book. I love those cobbled streets and old buildings. Ooooh... Belgian chocolate! :)
Anonymous said…
"Belgium is also the country of best chocolates and beers !"

--I guess you can add diamonds(in antwerp)too! I'm a "drinker" and i like those belgian beers and ales. not too fond of chocos though except for the dark ones.

Oh yes, ghent, i plan to visit in the future just to feel rizal's love for the city. he published his fili there. :)
Anonymous said…
I want to go! Chocolate, beer, waffles and moules et frites - they're all just waiting for me:)
Anonymous said…
lovely pics Haze :-)
I saw a miniature of the first picture in Legoland, I'm sure it's amazing to see it for real!
Why can't they have a parking attendant like in the Philippines, eh?
haze said…
RAGGOLD, naku sinabi mo kung ano pa yung madaling maintindihan wala! Like I've said it's French boarder kahit pranse wala :D !

ANALYSE, I am sure you've enjoyed the escapade you had there, syempre it's a children-free gimik!

SIDNEY, thanks for the infos. It's obvious Belgium is a rich country. I've seen only big houses with good and expensive cars.

TOE, thanks ! Had fun with this very interesting country. It's like I want to learn the language already ;)!
haze said…
MITSURU,really diamonds, must be really expensive!!! I am your contrary, sad to say I am not a beer drinker !However I am a chocolate eater :D! Interesting Gent, I hope we could also visit that soon and will check the Fili after ;)!

JOANNE, so when you visit France why not have a tour to this beautiful country :D!

PINING, thanks! You should go and I am sure you will love it for real ! No attendant, parking is already quite expensive !
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos Haze! I'm getting excited now, I hope I see those buildings. I'm looking forward to trying Belgian chocolates, my friend who lives in Trier,Germany raves about it.
Definitely Maybe!
Not Just Another Blog...
haze said…
BABETTE This will to help you to have a pretty clear idea for your Europe Tour :D ! Oh yes Belgian chocolates are one of the best ;) and if you are a beer fan, try them out too! You will see more than I did ;) !
Anonymous said…
Careful about the "speaking French" thing in Bruges, its a highly sensitive issue in the country right now. There is a rift between the French speaking Belgians and Dutch speaking Belgians, mainly because (in my opinion and based on the facts I see), the Wallonians/French speaking are not flexible enough to learn French compared to the Flemish who are multi-lingual (Dutch, English, French). Speaking French in the Flemish side can create war, lol. You have to also understand that geographically speaking the Flemish side is beside the Netherlands, and in fact they used to be part of the Netherlands (but with a different name). The Flemish in fact have more in common with the Dutch than Wallonia, which is a pity.

In addition Wallonia is poor while the Flemish part is very rich, and most of the money in the Belgian government comes from the Flemish/Dutch speaking side. Belgium has been in a political crisis for months (although I believe until today they have not yet solved this issue, albeit temporarily) because the Flemish/Dutch speaking part have had enough of subsidizing Wallonia/French speaking part. This crisis almost tore Belgium apart and there were jokes even that it would have been better if Wallonia is taken back by France, lol, although I doubt if France would like to accept it.

So next time you visit the Flemish side, try not to speak French. Better you stick to English ;-)

-DP
haze said…
Hi DP thank you for this important information about Belgium. The only thing I know is that Flemish is a rich region (it was obvious during our visit)and as explained by hubby and grandma apart from that wala na :D! They have also talked about the Belgian politics but I cannot catch up with the conversation as I was sitting with the kids playing.

Okay next time, I'll try not to speak French ;) or better yet Tagalog LOL !!