The Patient

I remember liking Psychology subject when I was still in college. I am very much curious about studying human behavior and mind which are quite complex and ambiguous. Debating with my Atheist Professor was interesting, intense and sometimes thought provoking. Especially when it comes to religion he never stopped throwing challenging and yet annoying subjects but that didn't irk me otherwise I will look like a loser without fighting for what I believe! Perhaps without Sigmund Freud Psychology will not be that sensational. Upon watching the television yesterday I learned that there is still the last living patient of Austrian Neurologist and Father of Psychology Sigmund Freud's. Under the name of Margarethe Walter, a sculptor herself who is now 89 years old. She had a 45 minute seance with Freud that changed her life. This is the story behind how Freud saved her life. Can Psychology save the world ? Or one's life like Freud did ?

Freud, as recalled by last living patient
By Hannah Cleaver in Berlin

Miss Walter told the German newspaper Die Zeit that she was taken to see Dr Freud in the now famous Berggasse 19 in Vienna in 1936, two years before the Anschluss, which would join Germany and Austria, bringing exile or death to the Austrian Jews.

Freud was already aged 80; his work, linking many psychological problems to early childhood and denied or repressed sexuality, had scandalised the establishment and then gradually become accepted.

"He had a small white beard, a grey suit and was a little bent forwards," she said, adding that he filled the room with his quiet confidence.

"He was very frail-looking but full of power. He asked my name but my father answered. He asked about my school and my father answered. What I did in my free time and my father answered. The answer to my ambition for a career also came from my father's mouth. Just like it always was at home.

"I sat there silent like an object that had been brought along."

She said Freud then dismissed her father from the room in a friendly but firm manner.

Miss Walter had been taken to see Freud by her domineering father after the family doctor diagnosed her with "mental suffering".

In a description that echoes Freudian diagnostics, Miss Walter said: "I was the loneliest girl in Vienna. Lonely, over-protected, locked in and pretty certainly not loved." Her mother died while giving birth to her, she described her stepmother as greedy and cold, her grandmother as terribly aged and her father as unapproachable.

"Everything that happened to me was decided behind my back," she said.

The teenager opened her heart to the therapist.

"He looked at me uninterruptedly, and his full participation enveloped me," she added.

She told him of reading erotic books. "At night, next to my snoring grandmother I devoured the spicy books which were hidden behind Grillparzer and Goethe, but she caught me "

Her liberation at the hands of Freud was focused on her father and rebellion against him over - inevitably - sexual matters.

She told Freud how when she and her father were at the cinema, he would insist on leaving when a kissing scene started. "He would tell me, 'such a thing is not for you'," she said. "I wanted to watch a kissing scene to the end."

Freud told her: "Being an adult entails overcoming the difficulties and implementations of that which forms a personality. Fostering your desires. Putting up resistance. Asking why and not silently accepting everything. It is about standing up for that which is really important, with quiet determination.

"When the next kiss scene comes up in the cinema, stay seated, stay seated. I'm telling you explicitly, stay seated. Think of me."

Miss Walter did defy her father on their next cinema visit when he tried to order to leave.

Gradually she gained the self-confidence to detach herself from his rule and eventually pursue her own career, becoming a sculptress.

"He saved my life," she said.


HAVE A BLESSED EASTER TO ALL.

Comments

Yen Prieto said…
wow. may buhay pa tlaga na patient ni freud. u know ate i wanted to take up psychology when i was in HS. but ended up taking up a business course kasi people had discouraged me, sabi nla anu daw kalalabasan ko. magiging guidance counselor lang daw ako ng school namin. or mag aalaga ng mga mental patients. pero until now, ive always been fascinated about psychology, to be able to understand what;s goin on in every people's mind. btw, lipat bahay nap pla ako ate. email ko na lang sayo link.

welcome back pla, im glad ure well na. ;-)
Anonymous said…
Very interesting post Haze . I'm not really into Psychology but sometimes I can read peoples mind..hehehe
Happy Easter to the whole family!!!
Anonymous said…
Meron palang Atheist Professor sa atin. I'm surprised kasi Catholic schools probably wouldn't have that. Maybe your school was more progressive than most.
Anonymous said…
Salut Haze! I'm glad you posted that. I have been struggling this past year with two religions. A religion that preaches faith in a loving God, and the religion of science that attempts to explain the unknown using knowledge, reason, and logic. I find it difficult at times to reconcile scriptural interpretation with scientific knowledge. Human sexual behaviour is a huge area where this becomes difficult. Frued was definitely a father of modern Psychology and Psychiatry, he paved the way to our modern understanding of human sexuality which has definitely saved many a life. I'm not that familiar with Freudian theory except maybe for social/sexual development, but sometimes I think he was sexually repressed himself, some of it is just too much.... I'm mainly thinking of the oedipus complex....yuck! Anyways the work of scientists like Dr. Freud and Dr. Kinsey have shown us how certain ideas and beliefs on sexual morality have psychologically damaged a lot of people. It's difficult to reconcile my faith with my science here.

This, among many other things, have led me to seriously entertain the arguments of atheists like Dawkins. They are very logical and reasonable, as science should be. I must confess that I have struggled lately with my belief in the very existence of a God. But in the end, I found the world of the atheist, or even the agnostic, a world with no loving God, a terrible place to exist in. A world where only silence answers you when you cry out for help at your darkest hour. Whether God is just a teapot floating in space, or some flying spaghetti monster, I was reminded again tonight that my ears have not grown deaf to His comforting voice during the darkest hours of my life. Some may say that I am just addicted to the opium that is religion, well, so be it. The absence of God is called "Hell" and atheism strives to bring Hell to Earth. I could never exist happily on such an Earth. I am comforted to know that there are people of faith like you who I can look up to during times of doubt. Dr. Freud has certainly saved many lives, but so has Jesus Christ.

I wish you and your family a very Happy Easter! Sorry for the long comment :) God bless.
raqgold said…
interesting, hmm :) happy easter dear haze!
Toe said…
I can't believe that Freud still has a living patient. That is so amazing! I was also interested in Psychology in college Haze. It is so interesting! :)

Happy Easter to you and your family. :)
Wil said…
Looks like the patient finally learned to stand up for herself with a little help from Freud. Good for her. :D

Psychology has come a long way since Freud. Some of his theories are no longer accepted, but one has to give him credit for being the father of modern day psychology.
Anonymous said…
Hi Haze :-)
It's a very interesting article indeed... imagine, being psyched by Freud, I would have jumped at that chance, lucky woman!

Belated happy Easter to you and your family, hope you had a relaxing break!
Francesca said…
Noong unang panahon kc, mga anak talaga namang takot sa magulang.

Ngayun mga kabataan, kung maka damit, kita na pwet sa bagsak na pantalong suot, dahil sa uso.

Pano pa kaya sila makalakad ng ganung suot?

Anyway, sa France di ba ang mga nanay sa tinedyers,sabi:

"I tell you this and that, if you dont want to know, ciao!"

ganun mga magulang dito.buti na lang di lahat...

Sa Pinas yan, may pingot sila sa singit, haha
haze said…
YEN I was surprise to know also about this last living patient! I was discouraged to for the same reason. But I think, it's not taking the course it's how competent and effective we could be!

AGRING isn't it interesting? Wow, maybe you are gifted :D !

JOANNE yes there is! The University where I studied is a private but not a catholic school! Oh Atheist do exist in the Philippines too but I don't mind if they are anyway people are different ;) !
haze said…
Coucou ANGELO! Science and religion never mutually coincide. Personally, I don't have the answer and I know it is quite difficult especially that you are a practicing medicine. There are things that Science can explain but not religion and same goes with religion. I've forgotten about Freudian theory and logic, it was during my college years ! If given the chance I would like to study it! Do not be confused accdg to what I learned that "that science is a method that needs to understand the world, an observation and experimentation. While religion responds to a felt need for the world to have a purpose, our belief in faith and what is our meaning why we are living on earth."

I will be a hypocrite if I say I understand Atheist, but I don't mind if they are. I just wanted to know the notion of how they became one. Now you have proven that you hold on to HIM and that Science is only a part of your knowledge but faith is something that pushes you to do good!

No problem for the long comment, it is rather a good exchange! This make me learn everyday ! Take care Angelo and good luck to everything !
haze said…
RAGGOLD yes it is!

Likewise TOE! Given the chance, I will surely study Psychology kaya talagang I really love reading books concerning this!

WIL a little help from Freud and her standing firm for what she believed is right! Wow, I can sense you know something about Psychology! Freud merits the credit :D!

PINING without her perseverance a little help from Freud would not be enough! Happy Easter too !

FRANCESCA totoo ka! Yan eh nung unang panahon na ang mga babae eh walang sariling desisyon. Now things have changed a lot! Depende on our upbringing ! Until now there are still some parents who decide for their children though they are adult enough, nakakalungkot!