The Shadow

Tonight when I was giving a bath to Sébastien, Mayumi went to see us in the bathroom and she was running, afraid and trying to telling me something but I can't understand her because of the running water from the bathroom. Now here's the scene : (translation in red color)


Mayumi : Maman, regarde! (a bit crying and afraid)

(Mama look!)

Me : Quest ce qu'il y a Mimi ?
(What do you have Mimi ?)

Mayumi : J'ai peur ! (she was pointing out on the floor).
(I'm afraid! )

I didn 't get it right away but when she insisted that she's afraid I understood.

Me : Ah d'accord n'aie pas peur. C'est ton ombre bébé ! It's your shadow (talking to her in english)

Ah ok don't be afraid. It's your shadow baby !

Mayumi : Non, j'ai peur! Il me laisse pas tranquil...(still trying to run behind my back to escape out from her shadow)
(I'm afraid ! He won't leave me alone...)

I tried to solace her but she kept on changing position many times and still seeing her shadow following her. I controlled myself to giggle because I didn't want her to cry.

Sébastien : Mais Mimi c'est ton ombre, il faut pas avoir peur !
(But Mimi it's your shadow, you don't need to be afraid !)

She went away running in her room and kept saying NON and when she was in the room I heard nothing. I then finished bathing Sébastien we went to their room to put on his jammies. In the bathroom we have two kinds of lighting, one on the ceiling and one which is attached to the medicine cabinet with mirror. When I went to the room I talked to Mayumi and tried to explain and comfort her that it's her shadow and no one else. It's true that there different effects on the light where we can see more of our shadow...in their room it's not the case the shadow it's on the body level. Then I started to tell her that she doesn't have the reason to be afraid of her shadow.

Me : Regarde Mimi c'est ton ombre.
(Look Mimi it's your shadow)

Mimi : Où ? Il n'est pas là (since the light is on the ceiling the shadow is not that visible)
(Where ? He is not here)

Me : Il est juste là derrière toi mais tu ne le vois pas.
(He is just behind you but you cannot see him.)

Mayumi : (insisting) Mais no Maman il n'est pas là !
(But no Mama, he is not here !)

Me : A ton avis il est où ?
(In your opinion where is he?)

Mimi : Beh, il est dans la salle de bain ?

(Beh, he is in the bathroom!)

Now that made me burst out in laughter !

Comments

Sidney said…
Must be scary...I hope your daughter made peace with her shadow!
kala said…
That is so cute! Hahaha! :D
Raquel said…
HHa-ha, very funny and cute, its in the bathroom huh!?. Si Maria naman, she likes to play with her shadow.
Anonymous said…
hehehe que drole and cute Haze. Kids really say the darndest things, I love it! Poor Mimi, hopefully she won't get so scared of her shadow anymore.... your story reminded me of that YouTube video where the little girl is afraid of her shadow:

http://www.youtube.com/v/4DH01tAnL6g&rel=1

bonne semaine Haze :)
Anonymous said…
She has the same fear as my piglet! David gets really terrified of shadows! So much so that when he becomes boisterous at bed time, I tell him don't make so much noise, the shadow can hear you. And that's the only time he keeps quite!
Anonymous said…
Quiet! I mean!! Grrr bloody keyboard ;-)
Analyse said…
lol oo nga naman, she left it in the bathroom.. hope she still wants de faire son bain lol.

louna discovered her shadow last summer, during one of our hikes, and i tell you, she was running after it, nasa harapan nya kasi haha..
Chibog in Chief said…
me too im scared of my shadows :-), hehehe its nice to listen to stories like these..cant wait for my baby to grow...
haze said…
I do hope she will do that SIDNEY !

She changes everyday KALA.

Brave Maria RAQUEL si Mimi as in takot !

I agree kids sometimes surprises me! They're kids and yet smart ANGELO. Will on that i'm sure this is funny :D! Bonne semaine également!

HAHAHA I told you LYNNET they could be partners of Haka Dance ! Now they could play hide and sick with their shadow ! I understand keyboards gives me headaches too !

Oh she like to take a shower but in one condition will turn on the other light so the shadow will go away! Sige sabihin mo ANAkay Louna sinong taya sa kanila sya o si shadow ?

Is it a cooking shadow HILDA ? LOL... OH don't worry time flies and you will never know makulit na rin si Mayumi mo :D! How's you father ?
Anonymous said…
Oh, so cute... bless her :-)
Hope you had a good Christmas and a good start to the new year!
Lovely pic of your kids there on the side!
Anonymous said…
Hahahaha! that's funny! I never encounter that yet with my daughter.
raqgold said…
MC discovered her shadow when she was around 2 years old. she loved it because she was dancing during that time, thus, she found a dance partner :D but mimi's story made me laugh, thanks for sharing!
Anonymous said…
How adorable. Hopefully she learns fast enough what it is. Maybe you should play with some hand shadows and make animal shapes like bunnies or a puppy. Maybe then she'll feel better,

Happy New Year!
haze said…
Thanks PINING! Wishing you all the best life could offer :D!

Try to ask her one day AGRING and I just hope she will not be afraid instead she will play with it.

Oh that is nice RAGGOLD a dancing partner...very original ! I hope Mimi will learn to dance away with her shadow too!

Hey this is a bright idea LEAH thanks! I hope that she will enjoy it. But the only thing I can do is a snake and a bird (the easiest)! Medyo mahirap ata yung rabbit and puppies :D! Happy 2008!
Francesca said…
Haze, she is hilarious.

Maybe, you can show her basti and your shadow and have fun!
vernaloo said…
awwwwww...that is so adorable...the innocence of a child. Maybe if you show her how shadows are formed with the use of her toys, she won't be that scared :)

Happy NEw Year Haze!
haze said…
She is a in fact a clown FRANCESCA! I already did that and she was not conviced !

Toys will be a graet idea VERNS! Well, I hope she will like it, sa susunod na kabanata. Happy New DEAR to you :D !
rmacapobre said…
kids are full of surprises. but i find them to be a lot of hardwork ..
Toe said…
I love this post, Haze. :) It's a cute story to tell for when Mayumi gets older. Aren't you glad that you get to record it in your blog? :)
haze said…
They are RMACAPOBRE and I guess they are the most funniest having an innocent reaction. Hardwork but worth it !

I love this anecdote too TOE and thanks to blogging I get to journalised events in my life like this.