slide and glide

According to my internet research on the origins of ski, the word 'ski' (pronounced 'shee' in Norwegian) is derived from the old Norsk word 'skith' meaning to split a piece of firewood." Skiing is actually the act of sliding with the use of two wooden planks. Since technologies have advanced, ski boards are now usually fabricated with fiberglass or other related compounds instead of wood. Primitively used for transportation, snow skiing started to be an amusement recreational activity and later became a sports for competition. It consists of many variations - the alpine skiing, the Nordic skiing, or telemark skiing.

On our way to the Alps, I was happy adoring the landscape! It made me think about my family. How I wish they could also see it because they haven't seen snow all their lives (Mom and Sister came during the Spring season only). Next time that would be my goal. Children enjoyed watching the DVD film during the travel that kept them calm and occupied. Honey and I were discussing different things... souvenirs of his childhood spent in Meribel, how he cried when he had his first ski lesson at the age of 6 and all the competitions he participated in and medals he won (Ssshhh ... he's keeping all his medals and he's proud but he's very discreet about it), the accidents and silly things he did. But the most memorable was that of working as a volunteer for 15 days during the 1992 Olympic Winter Sports in Albertville and was happy to see those great athletes who came from all parts of the world.

Growing up in a tropical country where we don't have snow, I have always been fascinated by snow and the sports which go with it, skiing and snowboarding ! And living in Marseille wherein snow is not a common view, it makes me very excited everytime we go to the Alps. In my five years in France it was my third year to spend vacation in the Alps so I tried to enjoy it as much as I could ! We were afraid that we might not have a lot of snow this year considering it's warmer today than the previous years. Surprisingly, that's not the case. We thought of you Kala and Julien. It's just so sad that you left for Qatar. A pity too that Makis and Alex were not able to come because of Alex's hectic work schedule. Anyway, there will always be next time.





We have spent a great winter vacation in the Alps of Meribel ! Husband's grandfather owns a three bedroom apartment otherwise we could not afford renting a chalet because it's too expensive. With friends to share the rent would be another solution. To tell you more, our son worked hard for his first ski lesson whereas Mayumi was contented to be in her ski stroller, playing in the snow and do the slide. We went strolling in the mountains, taking pictures, and chit chatting with friend Sarah while children and honey are out skiing the whole day (we were with Family Marotta because they lived 2 hrs from there) it's always nice to spend with friends right! To complete, vacation is not a vacation if food doesn't go with it , lots and lots of food.....a way to reconnect friends !

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Haze, free lodging, powderwhite snow, family and friends, and FOOD--that's the life!

All the best :-)
Yen Prieto said…
wow! buti ka pa nga ate nakakita na ng snow, ako kaya kelan?! hehe. pag gunaw na siguro ng mundo hehe. Its always fun and exciting to spend vacation with ur loved ones. I would love to do that one day, esp now na nakumpleto n kaming family. sna one day, if all our schedules permit, maka pag getaway trip kami with my parents and brother to make up with all the lost times. its never too late.

btw, may friend ka pala dito ate, i visited her link, natatawa ako sa entries nia esp nung kukuha na siya ng RP hehe. totoo kasi lahat yung sinulat nia... yung mga nag ya-"yallah yallah" sa medical commission haha.
Anonymous said…
simply BREATHTAKING!!! who would not want to be in the Alps.

yes, every time i come to a place that amazes me, i would always think of my loved ones, na sana kasama ko. sometimes it's very ironic, like when i travel, enjoying all 5-star comforts, mag-isa sa hotel, when kulang naman ang happiness--if only kasama sila.

anyway, am sure you enjoyed Alps, and are planning the next visit.
Anonymous said…
ATE LOU : OH yes and million thanks to Papy for that otherwise winter vacation in Meribel is not possible :). Maybe in the Alps 3 drive hrs from here would be another thing, prices are correct !

YEN : Naku first time ko na nakita ng snow para akong batang naglalaro ;), I was 29 yrs. old then ! OK lang yan Yen ako naman di pa nakakakita ng dessert hihihi ! Now that you are financially independent you could travel anywhere you want basta you just need to save and plan for that ! Oo have a friend there bago pa lang sila and I hope that they will enjoyr their life there!

SEXY MOM : It's indeed beautiful ! Opo kaya next time I would invite my family during winter season para makakita naman sila ng snow :)! They will get fascinated too as I was and always will !
Sidney said…
You are not learning to ski?
Analyse said…
so did you try skiing? ako di pa, takot haha.. i will probably try that, with louna.. in jura so it won't be that steep hehe..

when my parent went here last year, we brought them in the pyrenees, para lang makakita ng snow.. spring na kasi nun so we needed to climb higher.. and they climb! wow, i didnt even imagine my mom mountain hiking... i have a precious memory of them, my parents, playing like kids with the snow.. im sure that's one of the memories they cherish out of their visit here.
Anonymous said…
I would love to SYDNEY but the problem is I've got unstable knee, (cross ligament got it from Teakwondo training). Now, I am prohibited to do any kinds of sports except swimming! We're on the process of finding solution other than operating them! Did some Kinesitherapy of 15 sessions but it wasn't enough!

I did 3 yrs ago ANA until I had a light knee problem ! Kasi katakawan ko sa pratice nga ng TKD as I've said to Sydney! Wow, kakatuwa siguro sila tingnan no and that was really magic! I'm sure my parents will like it too ;) ! BTW, I prefer snow boarding :)!
Anonymous said…
That's too bad you are unable to ski.

I also haven't experienced skiing yet. There are no skiing resorts here in Winnipeg kasi. It must be an exciting experience.
Anonymous said…
Salut Haze! I don't know what you're talking about, you take great pictures! I miss skiiing now, after reading your blog. I haven't been able to go in 2 years. The last time I went I finally tried snowboarding, and it was awesome. A little more difficult, but a lot more fun. My body was sore for almost a week! I think I need to hit the bunny slopes again, it's been so long. Did you try?

You're right, it has been a warmer winter than usual, but it did finally hit us over here. In December, most of the ski slopes had to close for warm temperatures and lack of snow, and now winter won't go away, it's mid April, and some parts are still getting snow.

Oh well, looks like a great vacation. Keep taking pictures Haze :) Salut et bonne chance!
Francesca said…
haze, ang ganda ng araw na nandoon kayo, hindi gaano malamig!

onga, di ka ba nag try mag ski?
Anonymous said…
haze, at last i was able to open your comments box! hay naku, i hate qatar internet connection! we really feel bad for having missed the ski trip... wrong timing talaga! looks like you all had fun though... snif... di bale, next time talaga.

i will try to get some days off from work so i can go to france for a few days, so i hope to see you all then!

miss you guys!

kala + julien
Makis said…
I know! It was bad that Alex preferred to stay put at home. He was always on the road & it started again this week :( Basta next time we'll try to really make our own getaway diba?
Anonymous said…
Yes too bad NICEHEART ! Really even you live in a snowy place you don't have ski resorts?! Not even somewhere near your place?

Thanks ANGELO but really I am no photographer but I try to be one! I love snowboarding and I want to do it as soon as my knee problem is over! You must be a very sportive person too!

In fact, there are some areas (normally snowing) in France ngayon as in wala talagang snow, that's sad ! Bonne chance à tes etudes aussi Angelo !

FRANCESCA : Oo maganda swerte talaga kami nong pumunta kami, mainit ! If I can ski why not talaga kaso nag aalala talaga ako sa tuhod ko eh !

Exactly, wrong timing! I felt sad when I learned that you are leaving for Qatar, remember we were planning in advance na for that ski getaway! But don't worry KALA there would always be next time! Just tell us guys when you want to come ha even in Corse we will welcome you with wide open arms :) ! We will be happy to see you. That'll be a perfect plan Kala, come and see us na lang ;) ! Missing you too !

I know how busy Alex is my dear MAKIS! Anyway, we have all the time naman to plan our escapades ;)!
Anonymous said…
wow... sarap nman dyan.. looks like you really had fun on your vacation :)
Anonymous said…
Fun Fun Fun THINZ ! Naku we took advantage of the time kasi mabilis mawala snow at hindi nag snow sa lugar namin ! Happy Weekend !
Anonymous said…
I am totally jealous Haze! :) And those pictures look like postcards. :) Wow, Basti must ski so well now just like his Dad. :)
Leah said…
Great photos Haze. You are right, being in beautiful, serene places like the Alps makes you remember those dearest to you since you want them close by.
CLC Fashion said…
Hi Haze! wow nice vacation u had in the snow ha! me too i'm just waiting the time na makakatry din kami ng skiing someday. hehe lagi kasing reason ni hubs na hintayin medyo malalaki na ang mga bata to enjoy more in skiing... pero ano ka mas gusto nya sa nagyeyelong lugar not for skiing but for fishing, kaya sabi ko ay wag na lang dalhin mo na lang ako sa tabing dagat! hehe
Nice photos haze!
haze said…
Oh don't be TOE, you also have a lot of beautiful places in Cambodia ! Well, if you want you can visit us one day I would be glad to welcome you here ! Oh my son is just starting but he managed to slide a little bit !

LEAH, I've always think about them ! So my goal is to invite them during winter, lagi kasing spring and summer eh ! I want them to experience snow too and how beautiful it could be even if it's cold!

Thanks a lot Lucille ! you should try once and tell me what you think ! I am sure you will enjoy it! I guess it doesn't matter if kids are too young mas maganda nga kasi madali silang matuto ! Just don't forget to bring warmers and thick clothes pero minsan pag may araw ang init ! Strange di ba !