please come in WE'RE OPEN !


My son turned 4 years old last January 17 (1st day of fever). I wanted to prepare a little party for him but he got sick...yes on the day of his birthday. My poor Sébastien ! Since, I have medicines at home I did not call the pediatrician yet. I continously gave him all necessary medicines (paracetamol & medicines for cough & colds) fever was ceaseless during the last 3 days.

I remember the last time we went to St. Joseph Hospital son was barely 8 months old then, he got high fever. Since he was our first baby and we were inexperienced parents we rushed him to the hospital. Our fear led us to panic. There were lots of babies who were in urgence at that time. It was indeed a perplexing encounter as we were reprimanded by the doctor on duty like we were a child. Telling us that there is no reason to panic, it's only a fever and all we need is to wait for 2 days and give necessary medications. If fever persists then it's REALLY the time to make an appointment to his pediatrician. And the worst of that event telling us that we are exposing our son in a more dangerous situation because there are worst cases than of Sébastien. When we think about it, he was definitely right ! On the other hand, it wasn't our fault though, it's our first baby then we all have the reasons to worry about ! So that was our first experience. I was thinking It's not easy to be a parent...we need to deal with our fears but we have to get over it. Mind over matter !

3rd day (friday) fever is tenacious, called the doctor telling that may son is sick. She told me what to do.... giving alternatety two paracetamols (advil and doliprane every 6 hrs.) and asking me to get an appointment as soon as possible to check what he has. Finally, an appointment was fixed Saturday at 8 in the morning (that's the earliest impossible on Friday she's fully booked).

4th day, Saturday morning, since husband is working he accompanied us to the doctor arriving 15 minutes advance. Hubby went directly to the office. He was dignosed to have Bronchitis . Doctor's advice to undergo urgent pulmonary radio tests. Went home with kids by bus. The stress started when I called the radiology clinics and unfortunately they are open until 12NN only meaning they can't accomodate us anymore. I called private hospitals (radilogy is provided for check in patients only) and public hospitals and they told me that they have many patients already waiting. Can you imagine, a woman told me to wait Monday! It's bullshit !!!! Sorry, I just would like to externalize. I spent one and a half hour calling clinics and hospitals just to have a pulmonary test (while children's fighting and crying over a toy). I was at my wits end....to the point of crying....I feel helpless. I started imagining things. What if....?

During that moment, I wish I was in the Philippines because everything is OPEN. I am sure that I will not encounter such difficulties in finding a radiology clinic. I agree that Medical system in France is one of the best but when everything is close on Sunday I find it ridiculous. Sunday in France means rest day.

Hubby decided to go directly to the hospital and finally admitted since doctor's advice was urgent. Result no pulmonary infection ! It was a released. This isn't over yet ! Mayumi starts to have fever but we will be alright. I have everything we need at home.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry to hear about your sick kids, Haze. I know what you mean. It can make you panicky if your kids have a fever for that long, especially if they are young like yours. Doctor's clinics here are also close on Sundays, but there's always the emergency at the hospital to run to.
Anonymous said…
Oh dear... I hope that your kids are feeling better Haze. It must be really hard especially if you're in a foreign country. I can't believe they made you wait until Monday. :(
Analyse said…
oh dear, the virus is everywhere. try to be healthy for the whole family, you know, moms are for that.. frenchguy and louna were sick too, before and after vacation, imagine! luckily, my pediatrician is really good, he gives us appointments even at 9pm, and he gave us everything we needed since he knew louna's flying for the philippines. she had broncho and otitis before the flight.

upon arriving, she had gastro and runny nose. it was really hard. vomiting + poop! and frenchguy had broncho too...

but know what, during all those times, i was virus-free. lucky me. actually, i wanted to take louna's illness, as in pati ilagay yung baguette sa bibig nya, hirap na sya.. nakakaawa na talaga...

but now, everybody's ok. hope the virus finally bid goodbye to everybody..

happy bday to basti and hope he will get well very soon.. and try to keep mimi from the virus, hirap nyan...
Belle TH said…
hello, may i come in?

it surely can be scary for the first time parents but eventually, you will be able to tell when to call a doctor.
Anonymous said…
aww. i'm sorry to hear that.. i hope he gets well soon.. take care!
Anonymous said…
Niceheart : That was the last solution we did, go to emergency to have is radio test and good grace everything is normal. Thanks Niceheart, we mothers need comfort :)! I'll do the tag as soon as I can.

Toe : Yes it's not easy but I need to calm down to think of a better solution. Since, I don't have my licence yet if in any case there are medical aide (SAMU) whom I can count on !


Analyse : Oh no, I hope that they will feel better. Yes, sad to say that's the effect of winter :( ! Brocnchite, Gastro and Rhinopharingitis, Angine are in at the moment ! Keep warm Ana, mahirap na tayo ang magkasakit but unfortunately we are not protected from these viruses, bon courage a nous tous ! BTW, that's good that your pediatre can accomodate you even it's late ;).


Belle Th - You are welcome here :) and thanks for stopping by. Well it's not easy but thru my past experience I managed to attend things one at a time. Next time, I'll try to be more calm.

Thinz : It's OK Thinz and thanks for the concern, Sébastien is getting better but Mayumi is still fighting from the heavy cough and colds. They are still under medications and hoping & praying that'll end soon.
Anonymous said…
My husband and I also panicked when our daughter (then 2 years old) had fever with temperatures up to 40 C for two days! We brought her to the ER at 12 mn, only to be sent home later because it turned out to be nothing but "just a fever." A few days later, four of her molars sprouted. Nagngingipin lang pala! :) Don't you ever wonder why children are more susceptible to sickness when they're teething?
Anonymous said…
Oh, I so feel for you. I hope all goes well with Mayumi and that Sebastien is feeling better. Its really like that..just stay healthy coz the mother is the center of strenth in all this...when you are sick too , you'll have more problems coping .

Anyways, Happy Birthday to Sebastien
Francesca said…
in France, totoo sarado sila!
except sa hospitals, but sometimes, puno rin!
and I noticed, if may fever, doctors do not prescribe pills to children. They prescribed suppositories!!!
na try nyo na ba yan ke basti o ke mimi haze?
at least di raw yan nakaka upset ng stomach...
And bago ka ma check up, i computer search file ka muna, bago ka ma check ng docotrs nila.
Your name, address, sss number, birthdate please...
Grabeh. Buti na lang di sila ask:

may pang downpayment ka ba? lol
Anonymous said…
Kathy : Thank you for passing by. I think it's normal to panic for us 1st time parent co'z we are inexperience. Oh I guess, they get sick when teething because it's another new development for them so body adjust to it (I guess) :).

Leah: Thank you for the greetings. Kids are getting better especially Sébastien! He's back to school, while Mayumi has a husky voice (paos). And yes, we mothers should take extra care we are their strength, I agree :)!

Francesca : OO di ba mahirap, tapos pag sa urgence as in wait ka ng 4 to 5 hrs. pero OK na rin at least we knew what's happening to them. Buti na nga lang libre or kung hindi reimburse naman.
Anonymous said…
Hey, I hope everybody's A-OK now! Sorry to hear 'bout Séb's broncho. Am happy that there's no infection. I'm sure he has all the médicaments he needs. Pahinga na lang yan.

Happy belated bitrhday to Séb pala! Magkasunod lang pala sila ni Melvyn. Siya din, walang children's party. :-)

You keep warm and take care... we mothers aren't really allowed to get sick, literally and figuratively speaking. :-)
Anonymous said…
Joy : Thanks for the greetings Joy, same as for Melvyn ! After being at school from Monday to Friday he's OK. But yesterday he starts to have fever again ! I just don't know what to do sometimes, it's maybe because of viruses and they are vulnerable at school. Lahat halos ng bata may sakit!

I agree, we need to be strong in times of moments like this, emotionally & physically. So for all the mothers out there keep warm and let's take precautionary measures na rin. Cover ourselves when going out !
Anonymous said…
hope everybody is okay now.. kisses to the kiddos mwaaah!
Anonymous said…
Nao : Good grace Ok na rin ng konti...I will, Thanks Nao :) ! Bisous !
Raquel said…
I know I am late here, I hope your son is fine by now Haze. Mahirap pay may magkasakit sa pamilya, especially sa mga anak natin.
Anonymous said…
Raquel : Yes he's a bit OK now Raquel ! Thanks for passing. Kaya kailangan talaga wag tayong magkasakit, mahirap na !