please tell me why?

When I was young I am overjoyed when someone offered me with toys...lots of toys!! Even simple ones. I really keep them so as not to damaged them. I even take care of them preciously. With my kids I don't see if it's the same case. I never really understand children, even my own kids if we talk about playing! We buy toys so they can play whenever they want but not to the point of spoiling them. Not to mention the gifts from family, relatives and friends who offer them every birthdays, christmases and in some other occasions. I remember my eldest Sébastien whenever he receives gifts he will open the gift but he wouldn't even care what's inside instead he will play with the carton. He would be very simply happy about it. I don't know what the carton has but he just wanted it tsk tsk tsk ! Strange !

Now that I have my baby girl it's the same thing. I have always been searching for answers but I have given up because I never really found them. Just look at these photos of Mayumi !


Behind her there are toys that she could really play and it's actually educational toys. But look at her she is contented with that wood spatula that I use for cooking! I don't know what's amusing about this one. It's not even colorful, usually kids play with colorful toys because it attracts there sense of sight right? Since during the day we are together I always observe that she plays with the toys but not that long probably she finds it boring ?! She will always tries to get something from the kitchen and plays with it! Is it maybe because of curiosity? But she could also be curious with the toys they have especially those educational and colored stuffs?


Now she's in the kitchen trying to find out how to open the milk in those tetra pak! Personally, I do not find this interesting and it doesn't amuse me. I prefer to see her play with real toys not to interfere in my kitchen.....my domain lol !

Well, could you please explain to me what's interesting about this strainer ? Boy, I don't really get it. Have you ever experienced this with your children, your nephews, nieces doing the same stuffs? Assure me please and I need an answer ! It seems children are really difficult to understand when it comes to having their choices of toys.....I am a confuse Mom and in fact, a bit hesitant to buy toys for them this coming Christmas season because my husband and I are thinking that they have already tons of them. Any gifts suggestions that can attract their attention this time? Maybe they could be more willing to play with it.


Comments

Francesca said…
ako una, hehe
as an old timer mom,(opps buking!)
i learned from experience that children observes a lot what mommy is doing. If she sees you cooking, she likes to be the big mom also.Kids 'worst age is three years old, because they got good legs, can climb, run and go round like teddy bear with soo much energy.
Thats why they are in school at age three! To pass the bucket to the teacher, lol

I think mayumi is a clever girl. How about picture books? Drawing pads and crayond? Maybe she upgrade herself faster than the age she is in.
Anonymous said…
omg, i remember those days..ganyan din yun anak ko...

Well, children play with anything that can be remotely amusing, including the pot, glasses, and yes boxes ..even until now, my daughter loves to play with big boxes...

I guess, they try to explore and discover what these things can do and so they develop many skills, like music, art, building, etc..

Its hard to think of Christmas presents for your own kids...they have long lists (especially when they start paying attention to commercials on TV and browsing through flyers). I would go with educational toys for sure.
Anonymous said…
My kids were also like that when they were younger. Even until now, my youngest son will ask for the kleenex box or the empty toilet paper rolls. I think they like the boxes and containers because they can use their imagination and create different things with it. My kids love the Lego toys or any building and connecting toys. But I'm not sure if your girl is still too young for those. Nagsusubo pa ba siya ng mga small pieces of toys? Also board games is another favourite in our house.
Analyse said…
louna loves the cartons/etiquettes/papers too.. in fact, she will not even care what's inside the wrapper, she would surely play with the wrapper hehehe.. and yes, she would prefer staying in kitchen rather than stay in the living room with her toys.. so i'm thinking of buying her kitchen stuffs which i will put in the kitchen, para sabay kaming magluto hehehe..

musta ka na haze? i'm quite busy lately, hardly get the time to blog nga.. and it's almost christmas..! bilis ng panahon!

kisses to the family
haze said…
Francesca - Your talking by experience and I think you are exactly right! They often see us doing things then they imitate us! I have a lot books na rin, educational, musical, coloring, sports stuffs, they have it already!

Leah - Grabe di ba Leah, it's just very strange! I mean we buy toys for them sometimes we even save money for expensive ones tapos boxes lang pala gusto nila, ay kakadismaya minsan ! sigh . Yes, my preference too for educational toys.

Niceheart - Naku we already have lego toys at home too! Buti nga di sya mahilig magsubo eh but I'm being careful rin coz we will never know di ba! We doesn't have board games yet but we have a lot of puzzles made of wood and cartons!

Analyse - Naku Ana, thanks Wonderful idea, I already thought about it kasi the last time I saw it on T.V.! I also don't buy dolls at home kasi nga takot si Mimi eh just received some from friends but she hates it !!!

We're OK Ana, kayo musta alam ko busy ka, kami nga di pa nakakabili ng gifts for the kids eh !hay buhay :)

O see you on the net, on vous embrasse !
Makis said…
I guess there's more fun in things that are not toys - especially when those are the things mommy normally use :) Mimi is sooo cute!
Anonymous said…
Ha ha ha don't worry Haze, Mimi and Séb are perfectly normal. Mylvyn's the same. He's more interested to play with the pots, pans, and anything in the kitchen. When he was younger he liked to play with the washing machine. You know, twirling the tambour inside with his little cars in it and switching the selector left and right. I had to really be on guard all the time because the kitchen and the bathroom aren't safe playgrounds for kids!

I agree with Francesca. It's nice to play mommy's things. :-))

BTW, Mayumi's sooooo cute!
haze said…
Makis - I think so Makis and probably Mimi will be a good cook than me! Thanks Makis !

Joy - Oo nga, I was a bit worried i thought my kids are indifferent hahaha! I guess simple things make them happy...pabor sa tin di na tayo gagastos hehehe! Thanks Joy, marami na rin syang alam na kakulitan ;).
Anonymous said…
hi sistah haze,

kindly read this, you may find it informative.

happy everyday sis!
Anonymous said…
Haze, this is such a funny post. Tuwang-tuwa ako kay Mayumi playing with the spatula and the strainer. :) Bakit nga ganon??? :)
Anonymous said…
Nao - Thanks for giving me this site! I'm sure I will learn a lot that could me help resolve my worries :) ! Hey, i emailed you.

Toe - Thanks Toe! Nakakapagtaka talaga ang mga bata and they never stop to amaze me everyday! Lots of surprises too :)! Have a nice day Toe!
Anonymous said…
Haze, you're not alone. I guess kids loves to explore and they want to experiment everything.

Right now, what makes me sad....madali magsawa ang anak ko sa toys nya. I bought it today then after 2 to 3 days, ayaw na nya...talagang itatapon pa. Hay nako.

O btw, Mayumi is cute with a streamer hat.
Anonymous said…
sorry, steamer yan Haze.
Anonymous said…
sis, thanks for the email, i replied na. Kisses to the kids!
Anonymous said…
Salut Haze! merçi beaucoup de ton passage sur mon blog... je pense que mon français est balu-baloktot :) mais, mas grabe pag nag-a-attempt akong mag tagalog lol :)

kids do the darndest things eh.... although I do remember having more fun with the box than the toy when I was little :) Very cute kids!

Salut!
Anonymous said…
Raquel - Don't you find them strange? Exactly they like to discover things by their own, kaya naman nakikialam sila minsan sa kusina! It's actually a strainer Raq, yung salaan :)!

Nao - thanks for responding! I perfectly understand ;)!

Angelo - Coucou Angelo! J'ai bien aimé ton site, je pense que jirai te voir souvent ;)! So you grew up na in Canada? Kaya minsan nabaluktot na tagalog mo pero importante you tried :)!

You're right! hahaha even toys which aren't beautiful but you will see them using their imagination! Thanks for the compliments. Cheers from France !
Anonymous said…
musta dito sis... bumisita ako ha. Happy weekend mwah!
Anonymous said…
that's cute. at least it's a strainer. my kid empties her lego shape sorter box...and then puts the box on her head! then she goes around walking and bumping into things because she can't see anything in front of her. must be a phase...or at least I hope so!!!

- rachel