feels good to be back home....once again

The last time I went in the Philippines was in 2003. That was exactly two years and three months away from the Philippines before this last trip. Because I only had nine-month old Sébastien then we were able to stay for three months. He was even baptized in Quezon Province. I remember being surprised about the changes - less traffic, jam-packed MRT (I understood it was less expensive), and better systems for NSO, NBI and other governments institutions.

This time around, I didn’t have the chance to see if there had been more changes because we didn't stay in Manila that long. But passing by Makati, Mandaluyong (where my Sister lives) Taytay (where my uncles live), I saw lots of buildings in construction, a huge mall, and of course, the never-ending use of cellular phones.

Anyway, it was still exciting despite the fact that our stay was only for a month because we had invited French friends so we could unveil the beauty of my country Philippines to them. We successfully convinced three friends to come with us. Thanks to my husband who's always the number one fan of the Philippines!


Bernard made an itinerary for our trip as follows:

February 16 - Departure from Marseille

February 17 to 18 - Manila

February 19 to 24 - Quezon Province

February 24 to 26 – Manila

February 27 to March 3 - Legaspi City, Bicol

March 3 to 5 - Manila

March 5 to 10 - Arrival of French friends Laurent and Odile. With Bernard, they go right away to Banaue by bus while I and the children go to Cebu with my parents to visit my brother and his new baby girl.

March 11 - Arrival of another friend Rémi who takes a connecting flight to Bohol

March 10 - Bernard arrives in Cebu while Laurent & Odile visit Siquijor for two days

March 12 to 16 - Departure from Cebu taking the ferry to cross the island and everyone meets up in the island of Panglao, Bohol

March 16 - Everyone flies back to Manila. Odile leaves for France at night.

March 17 - Departure from Manila. Rémi and Laurent stay for ten more days.

March 18 - Back in Marseille, France

Our schedule was that hectic and we did not even tour around Manila. The one day stay in Manila made Bernard sick. He said, "Si tu veux vraiment voyager et connaître les Philippines il ne faut surtout pas reste a Manille. Il n'y a rien spectaulaire ici". If you really want to know about the Philippines, you should not stay especially in Manilla. There's nothing spectacular here. But during our stay in Manila, we went out for a walk to avoid staying at home and just watching television. In fact, Bernard hates malling but was forced to go with us to SM Megamall. I just wanted him to experience how it felt to just go around observing. I told him if he wanted to go ice skating he could and he was amazed that we have it. Unfortunately it was too crowded and dense. By the way, I found out that when you go to malls in the Philippines you can now rent a stroller for babies or even a designed pushcart for children.

Eating is still the best way to reconnect. We were invited for lunch by my two uncles, had dinner organized by friends at Dencios and another lunch with
Kala's parents before the flight back to France (thank you very much for that wonderful journey....'twas our pleasure to meet you and we enjoyed it a lot).

I wasn't able to see some relatives on my father's side, some friends, colleagues from the previous company where we worked. One month was not enough. I realized that there are many beautiful places to visit in the Philippines. When I was in the still living there I didn't travel a lot because of my problem (always sick when travelling ) and was concentrated on my professional life. I can travel without problem. That's the magic of Nautamine/Bonamine.

Sadly, I wasn't able to go to Banaue. My kids are still small. As I'm still breastfeeding Mayumi, I wouldn’t have been able to go trekking if I went. But I spent precious time with my brother in Cebu which is the most essential. We stayed in Cebu for four days and had the chance to know my sister in law and my niece more. It was really good to be home once again.

Please click to view
pictures.

Comments

Ligaya said…
hi haze! i was here before pero di ako nakapag-iwan ng message, dumiretso ako sa mga photos niyo. ;)
anyways, it's really nice to see and read your new post, matagal na rin naming inaabangan ito. =)
i'm glad you enjoyed your vacation in the Philippines. nakakainggit nga ang mga pictures niyo, it's obvious that you guys were having a great time. love the scenic views taken at the rice terraces in banaue and the breathtaking landscape in Bicol. yun ba yong Bulkan Mayon visible on the background? it's beautiful! =)

thanks for sharing them Haze, I enjoyed browsing each one of them. take care and kisses to the kids! Happy Easter to the whole family! =)
Francesca said…
wow, haze, grabe sa gala! hope ok na kulay ni fafa after the sun in phils! also sa kids and you! wala photos???!lol
Anonymous said…
Hey girl, at long last the most awaited résumé of your adventure in Pinas is here... :-))

I enjoyed viewing your pics, nakakainggit! Beautiful and happy faces, delicious food, nice beaches, fantastic panorama, boy all I can do for now is to dream. There is no place like home!

Glad to know you had a blast. Séb and Mayumi looked so adorable in the pictures, so like mommy!

Thanks for giving us a taste of home. Happy Easter!
Anonymous said…
Great photos, makes me want to jump on a plane and haul my ass to our beaches! ;-)

Kala
Makis said…
It's been a month na since you were in the Philippines, grabe no, bilis ng panahon! Basta we'll plan a big getaway to the Philippines in the near future :)
Anonymous said…
hi haze, saw the pics is that you in green? ahh.. beautiful, just beautiful.
haze said…
Ligaya : Yup have read your message, thanks! They're absolutely magnifique, Bohol, Mayon (and it was active) but I haven't seen Banaue...I'll surely visit Banaue next 2 years. Now t's your turn Ligaya and I will be waiting for your post ;-) Bon Voyage !

Fran : Oo grabe as in tan na tan kami lahat. Di mo ako nakita ha ha ha kaitiman ko !

Joy : Exactly Joy, there's no place like home! We enjoyed but most especially I spent a wonderful time with my family & relatives! O kayo kelan ?

Kala : Clear water, white sand...that's Bohol beach ! Ganda Kala next time we'll plan our trip ha to PALAWAN!

Makis : OO nga Makis it would be nice if we can go all together di ba!

Nao : Yes Nao, it's me in green, how flattering! Thanks !