wishes granted

I've been living here in France for almost 5 years (precisely by June 2006) and it's been my long envie that I would like to have a CHRISTMAS TREE at home. I remember when I was a child my Mom used to decorate the house with a christmas tree made of dried branches of small tree, cotton, cartons & aluminum foil (we always dreamed of a white christmas) with the holy family beside and a little parol (lantern). Wondering how it feels to have a white Christmas with a snowman as part of the house christmas decorations. Now that I live in France and have the chance to experience white Christmas, I thought it would be something joyful and more meaningful but to my surprise Christmas in the Philippines is incomparable.

This is my first Christmas tree, at last....my wish is granted !!! please do not laugh because I am not artistic neither imaginative, just simply giving a pleasure for my husband & children. My concern to transfer this wonderful traditions to them!

In the Philippines Christmas is the most anticipated occassion ever and is celebrated accordingly. For us Filipinos, it is a time for sharing, giving, forgiving and most especially family reunions and the likes. It is true that there is no winter therefore, there is no snow and no white Christmas at all, no pine tress (except in Baguio wherein temperature is colder than normal) but there is always the meaning of a true Christmas. Early September, christmas songs is in the air, people are starting to decorate their houses with parols made out of bamboo (star lanterns), chistmas trees, brightly colored streamers, christmas lights and the holy family. You will see carollers, with their improvised musical instruments made of empty can, sticks, plastic etc. Shoppers doing their panic buying for their sangkatutak na inaanak. Malls are full and crowded with all these promotions and affordable prices.


Parols made of bamboo.

There is also the Simbang Gabi ( Midnight Mass or Misa de Gallo) the bells in every churches would be ringing by 3:00 in the morning to encourage Filipinos to attend the mass. The Simbang Gabi starts on the night of December 15. Some says that if we are able to complete nine days of the Simbang Gabi before Christmas Eve wishes or panata will be granted, I don't know if it's true in any case we are just trying to meet up and celebrate with HIM before his birthday comes. After the Simbang Gabi, outside the church you will see vendors of puto bumbong and bibingka which are two native holiday delicasies during every Christmas.



Well, there are a lot things to say about Philippine Christmas.... whether we celebrate it in the Philippines or somewhere else depends on us how we will be able to make it merrier, joyful and successful. Of course, we always prefer to celebrate it with our family and relatives back home but we also have our family and friends to celebrate it here. Anyway Christmas is everywhere it is just a matter on how we would appreciate it.

Have a joyful Christmas to all of you !!!




Comments

Analyse said…
ay, akala ko dec 16 ang start ng simbang gabi...anyways, that's one thing i miss too, dont really care about the panata thing, it's more of meeting up with my friends after the mass and do puto bumbong dégustation...hay naku, just missing phil xmas spirit all the more..ewan, for the first time in my france life, bigla yata akong nahohomesick ngayon..siguro because i want my family to see louna na rin....and all i could have are my inlaws! tama ba yun?
Raquel said…
Hi Haze, thank you for sharing your first xmas tree. don't worry kung simple lang at least meron talaga. Next xmas mapaganda mo rin yan.

Ang na mimis ko talaga ang simbang gabi sa pinas. Namimis ko rin ang ang kape, suman, bibingka after sa mass, hehehe.

Nice post Haze, maganda ang pagkasulat mo, keep up the good work.

Merry Christmas to all of you.
Anonymous said…
like ana, im so homesick this year (3rd Christmas far away from my family, pffft). Anyway, it really helps to have a Christmas tree. And Christmas songs. Especially Filipino Christmas songs.
Have a merry Christmas Hazel!

-Kala
Babette said…
HI Haze, congrats on your Xmas tree, you did a good job. Kahit ano naman ang puedeng gawin sa Xmas tree, yung iba nga they make a popcorn garland, tapos pag ginutom sila, kuha lang sila ng popcorn sa tree. hehehe
Nag-snow ba diyan sa inyo?
Anonymous said…
Salut, Haze! Your Christmas tree is standing lovely just by itself, so don't worry. We know it's laboured with love and that makes it lovelier!

I love this phrase, "Christmas in the Philippines is incomparable". Yes, it truly is and I'm missing our family Christmas soooo much!

Have a great week!
haze said…
Ana : Naku Ana I think I made a mistake he he he December 16 nga ata, sowe !!! Oo nakaka miss talaga though we are starting our own life here kaya less homesick na din somehow di ba ! Don't worry your family will see Louna sooner !

Raquel : thanks Raquel, oo nga tama ka kahit simple lang what counts is the effort I did and the spirit of Christmas ! Oo yung mga kakanin kaka miss talaga after the simbang gabi.

kala : Yup Kala, I know how you feel, our life abroad make us more homesick especially during this occassion but anyway at least you have Julien and friends to celebrate Christmas anyhow...

Barbs : O di ba 1st Xmas tree ko yan ! I saw yours nga pala ganda nga eh, I hope can make it better next time. Thanks for the info/advice sarap yan hmm popcorn puede rin chocolate he he he...

Joy : Coucou, wow naman touch ako sa sinabi mo but it"s true what matters is I did my best, laboured with love ! I guess everyone of us miss the Philippine Christmas, ambiance, food etc.

Merry Christmas to all of you !!!
Ligaya said…
hi haze! love your Christmas tree, very pretty. i'm glad you have put it up finally. =) miss na miss ko na rin ang Pasko sa atin, the simbang gabi, caroling and all.

anyways, wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year! take care and kisses to the kids! =)
haze said…
Thanks Ligaya! Oo nga ka miss no but anyway you have Ninev & hubby to celebrate it with good friends di ba !

Take care and Merry Christmas to the whole family....Kita kits tayo sa Pinas ha.;-)
Ladynred said…
Hi Haze,
I'm so sorry to hear your sad news about your driving test. Don't worry you can take the test again.

Have a great week ahead.
Anonymous said…
Agring : It's Ok, am sure I will have it the next time I'll take the exam! I will work hard for it! Thanks Agring :) !